getting spammed to death

BigKevSter

Hi

I have been using spamcop some years now and thanks to all the guys for their hard work.

I have always reported spam from all my emails and I have lots of emails. Certain emails have been 'cleaned' over the years but now I am thinking of stopping using spamcop for this reason.

on one of my server emails I reported about 4 persistent email spams and was hoping like in the past they would stop, however, I had over 100 in my in box for the last 3 days and I don't have the time to report them all. I know you will say use mailwasher pro to do it automatically but I reported 53 and only got 12 replied to. I find the auto way is not efficient and sometimes I get a reply 2 days later.

Question.

Has my domain become a target for a spammer/spammerss because I reported them and what should I do :wub: ?

thanks

Taking your post in reverse order: No your domain has not become a target of spammers because you report spam. Yes one/some of your email addresses have gotten onto one or more list of addresses being passed (sold) among spammers.

You want to feel picked-on? Wait until spammers decide to use your address as the forged FROM: or RETURN-PATH: on their spam. Of late I have been getting 1,000 bounce messages/day as the forged FROM: on spam. At the peak it was 6,000 in half a day before I turned off that address. Normal spam runs about 200+ per day, most of that I report.

When you say you have "reported about 4 persistent email spams" do you mean persistent Subjects or persistent IP ? When you receive several copies of an email with the same Subject they most likely are coming from compromised computers controlled by spammers. As such they all look different to SpamCop. Remember SpamCop parses the email header and finds the IP address of the source of the spam so each compromised computer is (looks like) a different spammer, no matter what the subject or content is.

I what to know what you do to get all those replies. If I understand you report 53 spam and (only got) 12 replies from the reported ISP? I report 100s a day and don't get 12 replies a week! And those are all auto-responses. I do remember 1 or 2 'Thank you, we fixed that problem.' It seems that most ISPs that spammers use are 1) controlled by the spammer or 2) don't care (like the $$). The fact that you get a 25% return rate, even auto-replies, is encouraging.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I meant that about 4 email addresses have been bombarded. I understand your reply..thanks

Re 12 replies I mean when I report them automatically with mail washer I only got 12 from 53....some of the others are coming in now after 30 hours....sometimes they are up to 2 days.

if i could resolve this delayed response time I will continue reporting, but doing 100's by hand is hard work.

...Re 12 replies I mean when I report them automatically with mail washer I only got 12 from 53....some of the others are coming in now after 30 hours....sometimes they are up to 2 days.

if i could resolve this delayed response time I will continue reporting, but doing 100's by hand is hard work.

What are the replies you are talking about? The SpamCop autoresponder notifications (the advice that you can complete the report)? The spam would be too old if they were delayed that much, surely? Or are you using quick reporting and getting reports?

What are the replies you are talking about? The SpamCop autoresponder notifications (the advice that you can complete the report)? The spam would be too old if they were delayed that much, surely? Or are you using quick reporting and getting reports?

Hi

I am referring to using mailwasher pro options to send emails to spamcop for reporting spam. I have to do them manually if I want to keep my reporting time (7hours) it used to be 6 until I started auto report.

I reported 53 thru mailwasher and only got 12 acceptances from spamcop, however, now after 30 hours spamcop is inviting me to complete the report. I have left them on my account (paid) for admin to check.

I am not complaining it may be mailwasher at fault :ph34r:

so yes to your first point and yes it would be too old. and yes to your second point, i get reports with quick (manual) reports.

thanks

I am referring to using mailwasher pro options to send emails to spamcop for reporting spam. I have to do them manually if I want to keep my reporting time (7hours) it used to be 6 until I started auto report.

I reported 53 thru mailwasher and only got 12 acceptances from spamcop, however, now after 30 hours spamcop is inviting me to complete the report. I have left them on my account (paid) for admin to check.

I am not complaining it may be mailwasher at fault :ph34r:

so yes to your first point and yes it would be too old. and yes to your second point, i get reports with quick (manual) reports.

OK, not sure we're using the same terminology but if we are - others will be better placed to consider your situation and (hopefully) advise. If you quick report you should certainly not be getting (delayed) autoreponder reponses. That should only happen if stuff is sent to your ordinary spam submission address, not to your quick submission address. Not sure if it is possible to switch between them. Delayed and missing summary reports from quick reporting I have heard about in the past but that is (I think) another matter, hard to tell without seeing what you are seeing. Just checking - if your submission address is like submit.(some code stuff)[at]spam.spamcop.net, you are not quick reporting. A quick reporting address starts with quick instead of submit and Don has to set it up for you.

You could send single or batched spam (forward as attachment) direct to your submission address from your email account to take mailwasher out of the equation to maybe help tie down what is going wrong.

If you want SC admin (Don) to look at your reporting account, you should email him - he doesn't necessarily read all these posts, but you can point him here - service[at]admin.spamcop.net

thanks...

my address from mailwasher to spamcop, is submit.****************[at]spam.spamcop.net

so are you saying that will not get my 53 submissions of spam from mailwasher accepted and a reply for submission in a few minutes?

so are you saying that will not get my 53 submissions of spam from mailwasher accepted and a reply for submission in a few minutes?

No, that is not what is stated / meant / whatever.

#1 Have you taken a look at the Reporting Server Status graphic/link at the top right of this page? You will note that things are a bit busy there (especially at the time of this posting)

#2 Submitting 53, only recceiving 12 notifications to actually report the spam suggests that either you have multiple Reports within each of those e-mails to follow-up on or there is something wrong with the spam submittal content. It could be that file size limits have been exceeded in one way or another, it could be the way the e-mails are added into the submittal, it could be a myriad of things. Bottom line, some troubleshooting is going to have to occur at your end to try to track down the actual problem.

#3 Submittal by e-mail is a low priority background process. The fact that some people have come to expect an immediate response is simply a bit of an error in judgement and perceived situations. Yes, when the Parsing & Reporting is working up to snuff, there have been no outages recently leaving no backlog to work through, spammers aren't busy trying to drown out those receiving and parsing servers, when the world is kind, yes, you'll probably receive a fairly quick response to your submittals. But the whole concept of submitting by e-mail was so one could handle all the spam at one sitting, then get back to doing the Review and actually sending the appropriate reports at some later time when that time became available.

#4 As stated repeatedly in previous posts here and elsewhere, MailWasher is a third-party tool. You have been asked repeatedly about what your results were when not using MailWasher. I haven't seen your reply to that yet.

#5 There are SpamCop FAQ entries in the version of that FAQ found here, there are entries in the SpamCop Wiki defining and detailing the happiness and the hazards of Quick Reporting. However, Quick Reporting could be a solution for most of your perceived complaints.

#6 Someone would need to see the headers of those alleged 30-hour/2-day response times of a submittal acceptance notification you are describing. Delays of that sort would normally be impacting 'everyone' and there would be a major bit of traffic, both here and in the newsgroups about that problem. There is no such traffic. (Although noting that there has been a surge of issues being raised by folks using MailWasher ...???)

`

thanks...

my address from mailwasher to spamcop, is submit.****************[at]spam.spamcop.net

When you or mailwasher "Submit" a spam it is a 3 step process.

1) You/mailwasher send an email to SpamCop at submit.********[at]spam.spamcop.net with one or more spam as attachments.

2) SpamCop send you an email with a Subject like [spamCop] has accepted 3 email for processing

3) You need to go to www.spamcop.net, log in and click on "Report Now" or follow the link(s) in the messages received (above). You check to make sure you want to send the report and then send it.

Normally this can all happen in a few minutes.

If using mailwasher you submitted 53 spam at one time (see 1 above) you may have only gotten 3 or 4 notices from SpamCop each with 10-15 links. (See 2 above). Each link looks something like:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z187795xxxxxx...4e11114f7530c6z

You have not actually reported the spam until you complete step 3.

When you manually report the spam (I understand this to mean when you login to your spamcop reporting account and cut and past the spam in the window) you submit (cut and past) and send the report (press Send spam report now) all at one time.

If you have not responded to the [spamCop] has accepted... messages you have not sent the spam reports.

Does this help? In terms of the reporting steps above, lets try again. I think that 'What we have here is a failure to comunicate.'

Or what Wazoo said.

When you or mailwasher "Submit" a spam it is a 3 step process.

1) You/mailwasher send an email to SpamCop at submit.********[at]spam.spamcop.net with one or more spam as attachments.

2) SpamCop send you an email with a Subject like [spamCop] has accepted 3 email for processing

3) You need to go to www.spamcop.net, log in and click on "Report Now" or follow the link(s) in the messages received (above). You check to make sure you want to send the report and then send it.

Normally this can all happen in a few minutes.

If using mailwasher you submitted 53 spam at one time (see 1 above) you may have only gotten 3 or 4 notices from SpamCop each with 10-15 links. (See 2 above). Each link looks something like:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z187795xxxxxx...4e11114f7530c6z

You have not actually reported the spam until you complete step 3.

When you manually report the spam (I understand this to mean when you login to your spamcop reporting account and cut and past the spam in the window) you submit (cut and past) and send the report (press Send spam report now) all at one time.

If you have not responded to the [spamCop] has accepted... messages you have not sent the spam reports.

Does this help? In terms of the reporting steps above, lets try again. I think that 'What we have here is a failure to comunicate.'

Or what Wazoo said.

Hi

thanks for the reply, we are communicating because you are saying what I am saying,but, I am not a techie and you are, I do appreciate your help.

I understand and do all the above correctly the problem is with number 2 ( and I have no spam filters running when this was happening) I reported about 50 manually (cut and paste) and I had more spam than ever so I reported 53 via number 1

Out of 53 I got 12 number 2 and 30 hours later got notice of 2 more, the rest have not been replied to and will be out of date if they are.

This has happened for a long time, my mate was introduced to spamcop by me and I told him to watch this (he is thicker than me, he wouldn't notice) because of this issue I decided to do everything manually (cut and paste).

hope that clears this up. how can I get spamcop to work via number 1 (mailwasher)

thanks again :D

No, that is not what is stated / meant / whatever.

#1 Have you taken a look at the Reporting Server Status graphic/link at the top right of this page? You will note that things are a bit busy there (especially at the time of this posting)

#2 Submitting 53, only recceiving 12 notifications to actually report the spam suggests that either you have multiple Reports within each of those e-mails to follow-up on or there is something wrong with the spam submittal content. It could be that file size limits have been exceeded in one way or another, it could be the way the e-mails are added into the submittal, it could be a myriad of things. Bottom line, some troubleshooting is going to have to occur at your end to try to track down the actual problem.

#3 Submittal by e-mail is a low priority background process. The fact that some people have come to expect an immediate response is simply a bit of an error in judgement and perceived situations. Yes, when the Parsing & Reporting is working up to snuff, there have been no outages recently leaving no backlog to work through, spammers aren't busy trying to drown out those receiving and parsing servers, when the world is kind, yes, you'll probably receive a fairly quick response to your submittals. But the whole concept of submitting by e-mail was so one could handle all the spam at one sitting, then get back to doing the Review and actually sending the appropriate reports at some later time when that time became available.

#4 As stated repeatedly in previous posts here and elsewhere, MailWasher is a third-party tool. You have been asked repeatedly about what your results were when not using MailWasher. I haven't seen your reply to that yet.

#5 There are SpamCop FAQ entries in the version of that FAQ found here, there are entries in the SpamCop Wiki defining and detailing the happiness and the hazards of Quick Reporting. However, Quick Reporting could be a solution for most of your perceived complaints.

#6 Someone would need to see the headers of those alleged 30-hour/2-day response times of a submittal acceptance notification you are describing. Delays of that sort would normally be impacting 'everyone' and there would be a major bit of traffic, both here and in the newsgroups about that problem. There is no such traffic. (Although noting that there has been a surge of issues being raised by folks using MailWasher ...???)

`

Hi

thanks for the reply

I have always used mailwasher but 90% of the time I send manually.

I see your point of multiple spam, size etc, I did notice that some of the 12 had a lot more abuse reports than others, I assume you are saying that the 53 were all included in the 12 and some were dismissed for other reasons? but I never loose that percentage when I do it manually, however, I have never had more than 100 at a time to report, so I suppose this is norm for large amounts of spam I am just learning.

I will forward you the late ones next time I get them.

Like I said, it could be mailwasher. but I think you have answered my problem.

ps. I wasn't complaining to spamcop, I was asking for help with my 'perceived' problem, which I now understand from your reply...problem solved...

I see your point of multiple spam, size etc, I did notice that some of the 12 had a lot more abuse reports than others, I assume you are saying that the 53 were all included in the 12 and some were dismissed for other reasons? but I never loose that percentage when I do it manually, however, I have never had more than 100 at a time to report, so I suppose this is norm for large amounts of spam I am just learning.

I will forward you the late ones next time I get them.

Each of those links is for a separate spam and each needs to be followed to complete the processing.

If you are manually processing individual spams (sending in 1 at a time), you will usually receive a link for each seperately. This sounds like what you are doing.

If you submit 10 together in the same email submission, those 10 will normally be in the same return report. That is usually the way MailWasher will work. Otherwise, for every spam you received, you would receive 2 messages (the spam and the received receipt).

Archived