Hmmmmm... bogus email addresses

dabug

Probably not the first time thought of but .... (bouncing around in mind- like pong)

for ( ;; ) { // or at least an hour'er two

$email_address = generate ( rand( $name)[at]rand($unused_domain) );

send_to_spammer_Please_Delete_Me ($email_address);

}

You want email addresses? Be careful what you ask for :rolleyes: And if say a thousand of us did that for a day or two their buckets would be so full of bogus emails addresses.

OR.... not unused_domains but domains of other customers of their IP range. IE I just checked the current "stats" - apol.com.tw is number one right now - so find the customers of apol.com.tw and use those domain names - along with unused also. Now apol is getting complains from legit customers that they are getting tons of returned spam from ... Oh, look, another apol customer

Just a thought <_<

You want email addresses? Be careful what you ask for :rolleyes: And if say a thousand of us did that for a day or two their buckets would be so full of bogus emails addresses.
Yep, there are a lot of these out there, they're usually called spambaits. They're fun, but not sure how much of a deterrent they are. I suspect that our modern botnet spammers will simply send to the bad addresses along with the good, and may never know that the bad ones are bad. Also, a lot of spammers now go straight to the source to harvest e-mail addresses, via DHAs carried out on mail hosts.

Still, great minds think alike!

-- rick

Here's how my mind works - on my web site I check access_log every once in a while and look for probes IE phpmyadmin.v1/2/3.... So I give it to them. In myphpadmin.[whatever]/index.php

index.php:

php

while ( TRUE ) {

echo "\

";

sleep (1);

}

/php

It's not a LaBrea tarpit but it makes me feel good and hopefully slows the AH down.

t's not a LaBrea tarpit but it makes me feel good and hopefully slows the AH down.

Kinda like the old series of "how do you keep an idiot busy" jokes. One wonders if these guys have code that tells them when they are being had.

-- rick

<snip>And if say a thousand of us did that for a day or two their buckets would be so full of bogus emails addresses.

<snip>

...Sent via e-mail? It seems to me that would be network abuse of only slightly more redeeming value than what the spammers themselves cause. Please don't do that!

Archived