General forum question

StevenUnderwood

This is an offshoot question to the "Too many pinned objects" and I know that is being worked on. I also have an alternative to the multiple pinned items which I have not seen floated for discussion.

The problem I am seeing, and would like confirmation from others that they are seeing the same thing, is this. Starting a few days ago, any message bumped to the second page is being marked read (little arrow goes away), making it harder for me to figure out which messages I have seen or not. This is happening in the Help forum because the front page can only show 3 normal threads in addition to the pinned ones.

Would it be reasonable to "unpin" those threads, create 1 new pinned thread which is locked with only the moderator access, and have one entry per each current pinned thread with a link to that thread? If possible, you could also lock the individual answer thread if reasonable.

Thank you, Miss Betsy (I feel like a school child saying that) for the kind words.

Thank you also, Merlyn. I had not noticed or remembered that page of the configuration when I first configured this account, simply leaving most entried their default. That should improve my major problem.

In the US south, "Miss" is used as an honorary for older people which is why I use it (though everywhere I have been and at all ages there has been somebody who has used it as a nickname for me). But possibly you are a 'school child' compared to me. ;)

Miss Betsy

The problem I am seeing, and would like confirmation from others that they are seeing the same thing, is this. Starting a few days ago, any message bumped to the second page is being marked read (little arrow goes away), making it harder for me to figure out which messages I have seen or not

I'm right there with you on this problem (salso noting JeffG's remark a number of days back that explained another "reason" having a post open for too long ... I pull up a post, start the Reply, then try to do the research, cuttin, pasting, etc. ... and pop out to see everything as read .. oh yeah, frustrating ... havinf to go back through and figure out my last post was done, then compare that to the time of the "last post in the Topic)

Would it be reasonable to "unpin" those threads, create 1 new pinned thread which is locked with only the moderator access, and have one entry per each current pinned thread with a link to that thread? If possible, you could also lock the individual answer thread if reasonable.

Still tinkering a bit to see if I can figure out a way to get this accomplished ... but, I keep running into the same scenario ... at a minimum, yet another "Forum" for the FAQ's is just the bottom line ... (and yes, I'll agree, there's a real need for several other discussion areas also) ...

On the other hand, "we're" getting back to the always an issue of somehow getting those FAQ's (or pinned items) even looked at prior to posting the "same old question" .. in the position as Pinned items, there's a chance that something will catch the attention as they are scrolling down the page .. but putting the "answers" over "there"

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out something (but will also note that the Pinned item was the best suggestion I could come up for JeffG to use way back when .. and it's just continued on whilst waiting for JT's FAQ solution)

In the US south, "Miss" is used as an honorary for older people

yet, in today's world <g> ... I keep getting jumped on for using those types of terms "Yes ma'am" .. "No sir" .... most seem to take it as"an age" issue thing <g> I just had a woman in her late 80's instruct me to only call her by her first name from here on out, because she'd never liked being called "ma'am" .... and some of the <20 year olds' don't seem to have a clue as to just what a "ma'am" is <g>

in some contexts ma'am or madam are not very flattering!

True, but "protected childhood" and all that .. those other "connotations" were not known till I joined the Army and saw the world! And even at that, very few female officers appreciated being called "sir" for some reason <g>

few female officers appreciated being called "sir" for some reason
I still begin my officials letters with "Sirs:"; my gf thinks I am a male shovinist pig! :rolleyes:
She's right. :) Please try a respectful title instead. Thanks!

Archived