Soloway sentenced

rconner

Ah yes, I missed it too. A bit of unsanctioned punishment could be coming his way too, I would think. Especially if his Tourette syndrome recurs. Deplorable, if so, and yet ... some small imp in the darker recesses of the mind exults and the shame of it seems slight. Civilization is such a fragile thing.

Ah yes, I missed it too. A bit of unsanctioned punishment could be coming his way too, I would think. Especially if his Tourette syndrome recurs. Deplorable, if so, and yet ... some small imp in the darker recesses of the mind exults and the shame of it seems slight. Civilization is such a fragile thing.

Saw a comment to the story on The Register, where the commenter pretended to be cellmate "Bubba" who'd been a steady user of herbal enlargement products...

-- rick

• 1 month later...

Well, they're still writing about this hoon. ‘Pure greed’ led spammer to bombard inboxes (MSN)

SEATTLE - Robert Soloway is a convicted e-mail spammer. By his own admission, he’s sent so many spam, or junk, emails to Americans he lost count long ago.

"I would say it's over 10 trillion, most likely, from my home computer that I bought for $1,200 at Office Depot,” Soloway told NBC News in a recent interview at his home in Seattle. “So it's very easy. It really is easy to reach a massive amount of people."

His tale has a certain macabre fascination - sort of like watching a horror movie. But it's not his fault. Society made him do it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

King of spam pleads guilty; faces 26 years in prison ... noting that this isn't for spam directly, it's the "follow-the-money" scenario ....

In an interview last month, Microsoft Senior Attorney Aaron Kornblum said he thought the prosecution would make other spammers think twice. "There have not been a large number of criminal CAN-spam prosecutions in the U.S.," he said. "This is significant."

Soloway is set to be sentenced on June 20. The prosecution had been seeking US$700,000 in damages when Soloway was first charged nearly a year ago.

Date-time on above 17 March, 2008 08:30 - sentenced to 47 months 22 July 2008 and ordered to repay "over $700,000", released on probation 26 February 2011 with monitoring of all his email and web browsing (looking forward to getting back up to speed, hears Facebook is "nice"). The internet behavior monitoring thing isn't worth the paper it is (supposedly) written on.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/03/spa...robert-soloway/

Growing up, "I never went to a football game or a dance," he says. "I locked myself in my room." So, yeah, jail for "three years, eight months and 27 days" (including time on remand before, during and after trial) was probably not much of a deterrent in itself. <_<

"He says he's learned his lesson but knows his critics will remain skeptical. 'I don't expect anyone to trust anything I say until they see me making good,' he says." The miracle redemption of a sociopath after a short term of soft service? Sorry folks, such is unknown in the annals of the penitentiary services (unless accompanied by a lobotomy, but I don't think they do that any more). The penitence of a sociopath is what they reserve for display to their parole boards. Even the parole boards know that, but what can they do? Miracles might happen ... what are we if we are without hope?

Archived