[Resolved] The 'unsubscribe' feature of spam emails

nekoinu

Most spam I receive have a line at bottom something like this.

If you do not wish to receive these emails click here

http://somesite.com/unsubscribe?your_email[at]your_isp.com

It's normal practice never to actually click because that verifies your email address as an active address.

Would it be an idea to copy that link address and paste and hack in your browser navigation bar? For example.

http://somesite.com/unsubscribe?your_spamcop_submission_address[at]spamcop.net

Press enter then exit whatever you're taken to. That would speed up submissions of spam you were probably going to receive.

I'm fairly sure that wouldn't work (vaguely recall SC Admin explaining that once) - email submission looks for forwarded mail, not sent direct to the submission address. With no 'envelope' to strip the parser is lost. All you would get would be 'Spamcop encountered problems' notifications. Can't confirm at the moment - I can't get the SC autoresponder messages from where I'm at - but the trial submission certainly didn't make it to the parser while forwarded (real) spam either side of it got through fine. And it certainly shouldn't work with accounts set up with mailhosting in place.

Ah yes, not what I was looking for but here's a reference to what happens with a mailhosted account http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6980 - but the same "SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:" would be the same whether mailhosted or not (the trial I sent was to a non-mailhosted account and that never made it to the parser.)

Besides, your 'secret' submission address is supposed to be ... er... secret. You don't want to give that to a spammer (though exactly why not was part of what prompted SC Admin's advice, mentioned in my earlier post).

Ah yes, here is the response to the direct submission trial (from a remote address), exactly as expected.

From: SpamCop AutoResponder <spamcop[at]devnull.spamcop.net>

To: (my registered address)

Subject: [spamCop] Errors encountered

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

... etc.

Besides, your 'secret' submission address is supposed to be ... er... secret. You don't want to give that to a spammer (though exactly why not was part of what prompted SC Admin's advice, mentioned in my earlier post).

"You" are responsible for all the spam submitted using your 'secret' submission address. I can think of lots of people I would prefer to share that burden with other than a spammer; like an exwife :rolleyes:

Calling this one resolved. I note the O/P read at least some of the commentary while logged in.

I guess there could be some further discussion of "why not?" relating the general situation of not being able to report spam sent direct to the SC email account though that would be a little O/T. That sort of spam (to spam traps) is of course processed routinely but evidently receives different pre-processing.

Archived