Weird problem

Postino

Hello all,

this is what I received today in reply to an email I sent:

The original message was received at Fri, 21 May 2004 22:28:05 -0400 (EDT)

from 24.236.217.229.gha.mi.chartermi.net [24.236.217.229]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

<marek AT net-port.com>

(reason: 591 your host [12.158.34.88] is blacklisted by bl.spamcop.net. No mail will be accepted)

----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to net-port.com.net-port.mail1.psmtp.com.:

>>>>>> RCPT To:<marek AT net-port.com>

<<< 591 your host [12.158.34.88] is blacklisted by bl.spamcop.net. No mail will be accepted

554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Reporting-MTA: dns; proxy1-baycity.chartermi.net

Arrival-Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 22:28:05 -0400 (EDT)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; marek AT net-port.com

Action: failed

Remote-MTA: DNS; net-port.com.net-port.mail1.psmtp.com

Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 591 your host [12.158.34.88] is blacklisted by bl.spamcop.net. No mail will be accepted

Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 22:29:04 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Re: eBay item 4131566784 (Ends May-22-04 081357 PDT) - DELL DIMENSION 2350 PENTIUMFrom: Postino <postino AT chartermi DOT net>Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 22:28:00 -0400To: cyndy marek <marek AT net-port.com>

My question is... It detects my IP address correctly as 24.236.217.229, but then it says my host of 12.158.34.88 is blacklisted.

When I rDNS that IP it comes back as 'POSTINI CORPORATION', which has nothing to do with me... except it sounds like my email address of postino AT chartermi.net.

Is it possible that spamcop got something wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Postino,

...First: to avoid scumware harvesting your e-mail address, you may wish to "Edit" your post to disguise your e-mail address. Something like postino<at sign>chartermi.net should do the job.

...Second: when I perform a "tracert" on your IP address (24.236...), it shows that one of the servers it goes through to get from me to you is 12.124.15.106. According to ARIN, that IP address belongs to AT&T WorldNet Services. Also according to ARIN, IP address 12.158.34.88 belongs to POSTINI CORPORATION, as you found, but it also indicates that its parent (IP address range 12.0.0.0 - 12.255.255.255) belongs to AT&T WorldNet Services. Therefore, I conclude that your e-mail IS going through a POSTINI server and that SpamCop has got it right.

...The following posts may help you:

...If after reading these you still have questions, please do return here to post follow-ups.

...Good luck!

Postini is another spam filtering service that simply forwards mesages onto the configured server. We use them at work for our domain. I know they just started offering outgoing service as well, which may be their problem. I am going to call tech support on Monday to inquire why their IP's are on the spamcop list.

Looking up the MX of your outgoing address (net-port.com), they are using postini services but also appear (because of the rejection) to be using the spamcop bl. Because the postini IP was on the bl (they are not any longer), your message was rejected. Sending again should work.

> set type=mx

> net-port.com

Server:  ns1.ma.charter.com

Address:  66.189.0.29

net-port.com    MX preference = 200, mail exchanger = net-port.com.net-port.mail2.psmtp.com

net-port.com    MX preference = 100, mail exchanger = net-port.com.net-port.mail1.psmtp.com

net-port.com    nameserver = ns1.net-port.com

net-port.com    nameserver = ns2.net-port.com

ns1.net-port.com        internet address = 68.21.148.2

ns2.net-port.com        internet address = 68.21.148.4

>

12.158.34.88 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

Since SpamCop started counting, this system has been reported less than 10 times by less than 10 users. It has been sending mail consistently for at least 33.5 days. In the past 2.0 days, it has been listed once for a total of 39 hours

In the past week, this system has:

Been detected sending mail to spam traps

Been witnessed sending mail about 60 times

Postini is another spam filtering service that simply forwards mesages onto the configured server.  We use them at work for our domain.  I know they just started offering outgoing service as well, which may be their problem.  I am going to call tech support on Monday to inquire why their IP's are on the spamcop list.

Looking up the MX of your outgoing address (net-port.com), they are using postini services but also appear (because of the rejection) to be using the spamcop bl.  Because the postini IP was on the bl (they are not any longer), your message was rejected.  Sending again should work.

> set type=mx

> net-port.com

Server:  ns1.ma.charter.com

Address:  66.189.0.29

net-port.com    MX preference = 200, mail exchanger = net-port.com.net-port.mail2.psmtp.com

net-port.com    MX preference = 100, mail exchanger = net-port.com.net-port.mail1.psmtp.com

net-port.com    nameserver = ns1.net-port.com

net-port.com    nameserver = ns2.net-port.com

ns1.net-port.com        internet address = 68.21.148.2

ns2.net-port.com        internet address = 68.21.148.4

>

12.158.34.88 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

Since SpamCop started counting, this system has been reported less than 10 times by less than 10 users. It has been sending mail consistently for at least 33.5 days. In the past 2.0 days, it has been listed once for a total of 39 hours

In the past week, this system has:

Been detected sending mail to spam traps

Been witnessed sending mail about 60 times

I can tell you why -- send AV autoresponder messages to forged "from" addreses and hitting the spamtraps. You can tell them to turn off the AV autoresponder bounce messages which most/many companies are turning off since the entire net result of a company doing this is to mailbomb innocent email addresses.

I can tell you why -- send AV autoresponder messages to forged "from" addreses and hitting the spamtraps. You can tell them to turn off the AV autoresponder bounce messages which most/many companies are turning off since the entire net result of a company doing this is to mailbomb innocent email addresses.

I will most definitely do that. I have been told in the past that they do not send AV messages. I will double check on that. I hope to have them contat you at the deputies address if there are ant questions.

Hello All

First of thank you for all your input.

I had sent an email to report this problem to SpamCop and got a reply which basically says this:

"In this case, the person you are sending to receives their mail service from

Postini, and their server was listed on the SpamCop Blocking List. In other

words, they were no doubt rejecting all their incoming mail.

The listing was due to the Postini server sending virus notifications to the

forged return addresses, which happened to be traps on our system. I've

delisted 12.158.34.88."

From what I understood, my IP or Charter's mail server was not blacklisted but Postini Corp's own mail server was blacklisted, and it was just a coincidence that my email address started with postino...

Thanks again ;)

Archived