website times out after clicking 'report now' link

fliptop

for the past couple of days, i've been having trouble getting the spamcop site to respond when i click the 'report now' link. it's gotten so bad that most of the spam i've reported has already passed the 2-day old mark and is now useless. i didn't notice anyone else discussing this problem, am i the only one who's having it? the rest of the site is working fine, it just doesn't process spam or allow me to report it (in the rare instances where clicking 'report now' actually does something).

Just came from the newsgroups, no one else has mentioned anything of the sort ... and usually, an issue like this gets lots of folks howling. There used to be an issue with Netscape 4.x collecting too many temp/scratch files ....???? But even if you're using something newer, you don't make note of doing the inital troubleshooting things .. clearing cache, clearing history, checking cookie handling, even re-booting, using the cut/paste screen to try to process a spam, (the "Report Now" thing suggests that maybe the web-mail connection might be involved?)

Just came from the newsgroups, no one else has mentioned anything of the sort ... and usually, an issue like this gets lots of folks howling.  There used to be an issue with Netscape 4.x collecting too many temp/scratch files ....????  But even if you're using something newer, you don't make note of doing the inital troubleshooting things .. clearing cache, clearing history, checking cookie handling, even re-booting, using the cut/paste screen to try to process a spam, (the "Report Now" thing suggests that maybe the web-mail connection might be involved?)

19357[/snapback]

ever heard the saying 'the car stops making noise when the mechanic takes a look?'

after two frustrating days where i was almost completely unable to report any spam, i posted this message as a last resort (yes, i did everything you mentioned, except reboot since i use linux and that's just plain funny). and also i didn't try the cut-paste form, because that method of reporting spam really sucks (when i paste in my email headers there's no hard returns, it's all on one big line in the textarea and is a royal pain in the rearend to use).

anyway, after posting the message and taking care of the spam i received today i tried again and it seems to be ok. the browser timeouts were gone and reporting was timely as usual. i only had about 10 spams that had aged beyond 2 days in the interim. not sure what happened there, but it's not causing problems now. thanks for your prompt response!

Glad things worked out. About the only thing that comes to mind for this would be some kind of a DNS issue, your cache, some routing table, a hosts file, something along that line that somehow got cleared, reset, or old data got pushed out ...????

Thanks for the feedback!

Glad things worked out.  About the only thing that comes to mind for this would be some kind of a DNS issue, your cache, some routing table, a hosts file, something along that line that somehow got cleared, reset, or old data got pushed out ...????

Thanks for the feedback!

19361[/snapback]

i thought about the dns as well, and even removed my local, private dns from /etc/resolv.conf and relied solely on my isp's dns, but no soap. my hosts file just has 127.0.0.1 in it. what made it weird to me was that the static areas of the site worked just fine, and the 1st page that tells me i have spam waiting to report was working ok, it was just submitting the reports that gave problems. if it happens again i'll post something right away this time (instead of waiting two days).

...One of my local experts tells me that my employer's network has had symptoms of DNS Poisoning, which WindowSecurity.com defines as:

DNS Poisoning

DNS Poisoning is when your DNS files are poisoned with bad information

In other words, if you have an A record that points to a trusted host, a hacker can change it and point you in the wrong direction for malicious intent

Archived