notifying isp but not admin

Hello

Several times over the last few years I have had sites of mine falsely suspended because spamcop sent a spam report to the isp that is hosting the site, ie the ip owner, but they have never sent a notification to me, ie the administrator that is listed in the domain's whois record. I have then had to convince the isp that I was not responsible for the spam. If spamcop had notified me I could have avoided all this trouble caused by bad spamcop reports.

Why doesn't spamcop notify the domain administrator when it notifies the isp?

If you had offered up an IP address or two (you said sites), someone might be able to take a look at the situation.

Some items .. how much of an IPA range are you responsible for? Have you registered your "sites" with abuse.net? What is your realationship with your ISP .. headed for the possibility of you asking to be notified as "an interested third party" .. but should note that a lot of folks decline that particular checkbox due to past spammer activities.

Well, if you'd try to go along with the questions I asked, I could try to give you a good answer. However, as I still don't have a clue as to just how big of an area it is that you control, the best I can say now is "it can" ..... but it depends ....

I am just talking about $10 hosting accounts with a dedicated ip. Probably the same kind of thing this guy is talking about. The first thing I hear about it is an email from the isp saying they've suspended my site due to a spam report. I then have to go through a process which ends up with them unsuspending the site. It's annoying. If I received the same report then I could investigate it myself and ease some of the pain.

OK, let's try this. If you have the ISP agree, then there may be permission granted to have you added as an "interested third party" ..... If you were to register the sites with abuse.net, there might be a chance that you'd see the reports. But, again, the particulars leave me having to guess at the outcome.

I'll give you an example that recently came up ... powweb.net ... for the longest time they were having problems because their smaller IP range was a portion of their upstream. Their upstream had such a bad spam problem, that almost the entire IP range / assignment was in SPEWS. So even though powweb themselves were death on spam issues, their inclusion in their upstream SPEWS listing was really hurting them. Problem was solved by powweb going to another outfit and getting themselves into a "clean" block of addresses. After all of that, they are now the quick-on-the-draw type. They have no interest in "sharing" the notifications, because they aren't going to have a problem to begin with.

Thanks. I am beginning to understand your reporting system a bit now. I assumed that reports should go to all parties related to the spam. Other spam reporting software does that. It seems like you only send it to whoever is the registered party for the ip address. I have sent in my "interested third party" request.

Well, in general, it does seem a bit silly to send the complaint to the spammer him/herself <g> ... and the caution I'd given earlier about folks not checking your box (if you get approval) is because so many spammers have done just this thing .... it used to be that jusy about anyone could sign up for third-party notification .. even had one outfit that didn't quite realize what they were doing and asked to be notified for dang near the entire IP4 address space ... these days, the first threshold is getting the IP block owner to agree that it'd be a benefit to add to the complaint target list.

And again, have you been to abuse.net yet to take a gander at registering an abuse address there?

Archived