The answer to SC's funding problems?

Neuviana

Has anyone considered the possibility of subsidizing SpamCop with Google AdSense ads? Yeah, I know, sounds like an invitation for more spam. This is totally untrue. This is because not all ads are bad. First, here me out on the story.

For some people (I've met a few personally), e-commerce is a means of livelihood. A new breed of self-employed has emerged from technologies such as eBay and Amazon.com Sell Your Stuff. As with any business, advertising is necessary if the business is to be a profitable one. Usually, the only affordable option is to place an ad in the paper, which only attracts local clientele.

Then along came Google and its AdSense, providing affordable advertising for sellers and BIG BUCK$ for webmasters! How about abolishing the nag screen, which just slows down both ends, and replace it with Google banner ads shown on the report page for unpaid users? Of course, paid users could access special ad-free pages.

BIG BUCK$ for webmasters!

Depends on who you talk to, what kind of ads get served, what kind of user base you've got, etc. etc. etc. While I can't speak for Julian, have no control over the www.spamcop.net web pages, I can tell you that in the looking I've done (for this side of the house) it doesn't fit in well. As most of the traffic is about spam, and the AdSense decisions points are made based on words found on the web page in question, guess what ads get displayed ....??? Trust me, more than half the ads I've seen on anti-spam web-pages are products that I wouldn't waste the time or effort trying to find the 10-foot pole I wouldn't touch them with ..... Then you get into the fine-print of the actual pages the data gts displayed on (and which pages they can't be displayed on), how they are displayed, the debate about the problem when the AdSense servers aren't serving, on and on ....

Archived