Geocities.uk - doesn't do anything about spam?

Kojote

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is *funny*

I've reported a de.geo.. spamvertized website to geo-abuse[at]yahoo-inc.com , couple of days later I suddenly got auto-reply from de-geo-abuse[at]yahoo-inc.com which says they'll investigate it.

Couple of days later (now) the site is still up.

:rolleyes:

Also,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=&quot...e:geocities.com

and it's clear how they fill their pages with bogus info

http://www.google.com/search?q="Healt...e:geocities.com

If you know how long it takes for a page to show up in google, and most accounts are still online.. then it's clear that geocities is a spammers heaven.

Ah, thanks, its a SNAFU then.  I had started reading that thread, but gave up when it seemed to be diverging into unrelated stuff.

36597[/snapback]

the pertinent post is "For a bit of specific background, take a look at the FAQ entry titled SpamCop reporting of spamvertized sites - some philosophy"

spamcop does not concentrate on the reporting of spamvertized sites.

Miss Betsy

I've reported a de.geo.. spamvertized website to geo-abuse[at]yahoo-inc.com , couple of days later I suddenly got auto-reply from de-geo-abuse[at]yahoo-inc.com which says they'll investigate it.

Couple of days later (now) the site is still up.

Well. Yes. This is exactly what happened to me. When on August 1st the first few uk sites come in, I actually investigated, took apart the website, checked the encoded java scri_pt, and sent mail to the geocities people reporting all spam URLs with proof, plus methods they can use to automatically detect these spam sites when they are uploaded. Needless to say is that all I got was an automated reply.

On the positive side, our spamassassin rules that case every [isocc].geocities.com URL in mail to be scored high (3.5) , actually have not caused any false positives sofar.

Still, I think it's silly from yahoo's point of view to be so lenient wth respect to spam, given that all these sites directly violate the terms and conditions. They apparently are happy to sponsor hosting for spammers. They deserve a good (public) slapping.

<snipped>

Still, I think it's silly from yahoo's point of view to be so lenient wth respect to spam, given that all these sites directly violate the terms and conditions. They apparently are happy to sponsor hosting for spammers. They deserve a good (public) slapping.

36694[/snapback]

I agree with you wholeheartedly!! It is going to take consumer action to get yahoo, comcast (another problem) and others to cease and desist in aiding and abetting the spammers.

Miss Betsy

Archived