ARIN Details invalid - so why is IP still live?

GreenLady

I hope this is the right place to post this (it is more for interest than needing to know an answer). I have had a couple of these recently. Given that the listing was last updated 2003-11, should the IP address have been de-assigned by ARIN or some other organisation? I thought it was mandatory to have accurate details listed...

"whois 192.160.34.52[at]whois.arin.net" (Getting contact from whois.arin.net )

nothing found

host 192.160.34.52 (getting name) no name

Falling back on IP addressing:postmaster[at][192.160.34.52]

Please make sure this email IS spam:

From: "Shawn K. Jacobson" <shawn.k_jacobson_lk[at]aol.com> (Change your life starting today!)

Search results for: 192.160.34.52

OrgName: Zacson Corporation

OrgID: ZACSO

Address: 3825 Hopyard Road

Address: Suite 220

City: Pleasanton

StateProv: CA

PostalCode: 94588

NetRange: 192.160.34.0 - 192.160.34.255

CIDR: 192.160.34.0/24

NetName: ZACSON

NetHandle: NET-192-160-34-0-1

Parent: NET-192-0-0-0-0

NetType: Direct Assignment

Comment: The information for this network has been reported to

Comment: be invalid. ARIN has attempted to obtain updated data, but has

Comment: been unsuccessful. To provide current contact information,

Comment: please e-mail hostmaster[at]arin.net.

RegDate: 1992-04-27

Updated: 2003-11-25

Some people think that getting at the spammers through invalid registrations is useful. (I don't)

There is a way that you can report invalid registrations through ICANN.

Lots of registrars are not very careful about getting valid information nor very helpful about complaints of invalid information. (sh sh living at sunshine in neverland, CN was not obviously an invalid address. I had to fax a returned letter to them. Then it was changed, but I never bothered to send a letter to the new address which looked just about as bogus to me).

Miss Betsy

I hope this is the right place to post this (it is more for interest than needing to know an answer). I have had a couple of these recently. Given that the listing was last updated 2003-11, should the IP address have been de-assigned by ARIN or some other organisation? I thought it was mandatory to have accurate details listed...

And the award in the Stupid, But True, Bureaucratic Rulings Category goes to ARIN's Board of Trustees! The lying spammer is officially considered to be a member in good standing.

Definition of a Member in Good Standing

• "A general member in good standing is defined as an entity that is current on all membership and/or resource fee payments. The Board of Trustees shall determine the timeframe of what constitutes “current.”"

And on the same page:

Definition of "current"

• The ARIN Board of Trustees declares that for purposes of the ARIN Bylaws, Article III, Section 3, the term “current” is defined as having no outstanding invoices sixty (60) days beyond the invoice due date. For purposes of membership, invoices are tied to Org IDs for subscriber members, and organization name in the case of non-subscriber members.”

The above is pretty much says it all . . . ARIN simply doesn't have any authority to do anything about the bogus information.

Archived