Local SPAMMers

HMartins

Spamcop seems to be processing spam at world level. Nevertheless this seems not to be a good approach for small countries (non english speaking) as mine, Portugal.

Lots of portuguese spoken SPAMers are spreading amont portuguese community but they seem not to apear in high ranking statistical position.

This is probably dur to the small amount of global spam traffic it represents. Even so, it represents quite a local traffic.

Is there any approach to this local spam matters?

If I understand your question, I can only suggest that you can't get much more local than your own ISP ... I'd say start with them and ask this very question. SpamCop started out as just an exercise for Julian's personal use ... has grown over time into what it is today.

The same techniques that are used world wide to stop spam will be used by Portuguese internet service providers to stop spam.

The best way is to convince internet service providers to put in the contracts they use with their customers, a clause that says that customers cannot send unsolicited bulk email. Then ask your ISP to complain to the sending ISP if you get a spam. The sending ISP should then be able to shut down the spammer for breaking the contract. If you get a second spam, then ask your ISP to block (refuse to accept email from that source).

The spammers will then use cunning methods so that their internet service is not stopped. But there are blocklists that world wide internet service providers use to block spam from open proxies and internet service providers who do not cancel service for spammers.

Spamcop will work for Portugese spam, also. It would work better if there were more Portugese reporters. It is too bad that the submittal process has not been translated for other languages. For some reason, there are technical difficulties in doing that.

Miss Betsy

Archived