[Resolved] devnull

gonnagetcha

I recently reported a spam email to SpamCop and received the following response (X's are mine, as sender is irrelevant to the question): "/dev/null'ing report for (XXX)[at]devnull.spamcop.net"

Wikipedia defines "devnull" as,

"In Unix-like operating systems, /dev/null or the null device is a special file that discards all data written to it (but reports that the write operation succeeded), and provides no data to any process that reads from it (yielding EOF immediately).

"In programmer jargon, especially Unix jargon, it may also be called the bit bucket or black hole."

"The null device typically used disposing of unwanted output streams of a process, or as a convenient empty file for input streams. This is usually done by redirection."

"This entity is a common inspiration for technical jargon expressions and metaphors by Unix programmers, e.g. 'please send complaints to /dev/null,' 'my mail got archived in /dev/null,' and 'redirect to /dev/null'—being jocular ways of saying, respectively: 'don't bother sending complaints,' 'my mail was deleted,' and 'go away'."

Does this mean that my report (referenced above) is going into a digital trash can and that no action by SpamCop was or will be taken?

Sidenote: My spam emails have fallen off dramatically since I've been reporting SpamScammers to SpamCop. Gone are 90% of the pie-in-the-sky money offers. Now I daily get a few trying to get me to open an attachment or click a link that will give them info about my computer, but the worst seems to be over - thanks, SpamCop!

Does this mean that my report (referenced above) is going into a digital trash can and that no action by SpamCop was or will be taken?
Yes. The act of sending the report to the trash feeds our database and contributes to our blocking list data just the same as if the report was sent to an abuse desk.

SpamCop doesn't take any action, nor does it ever ask for any action to be taken. All we do is send reports.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

• 4 weeks later...

Archived