spam Reporter Recreation

gonnagetcha

OK, since you started reporting spam, you've seen less sun than Dracula, but that doesn't mean you need to stop having fun. Think about all of those Pfishing and Harvester emails you've gotten, with the inviting message, begging you to click a link that will feed all of your info to a spammer. Now you can turn the tables!

Go to Locate Your Target [http://shivampatel.net/trace/] and check out what they have to offer - it's a free service that provides you with a URL, specific to you, that when you entice a spammer to click on it, sends all of HIS information directly to YOU in an email!

Pick your favorite spammer, put one of his most offending IP addresses into Project Honey Pot [http://www.projecthoneypot.org], gather some damning info on his activities with that IP, and paste it into a reply to his offending email to you, saying something like, "These guys have a list of everything you've ever done - see for yourself:" then insert the tracking URL and sit back. His ego won't allow him to resist - he'll get a screenful of Smiley Face and you'll get an email with all of his info. (Suggestion: keep track of which spammers you send this to, so you can tell which is which --)

Who says we can't have a life --?

(Anybody know what day it is?)

Gonnagetcha

admin edit: font tags removed so as to make the Post legible at this side of the screen.

Pick your favorite spammer, put one of his most offending IP addresses into Project Honey Pot [http://www.projecthoneypot.org], gather some damning info on his activities with that IP, and paste it into a reply to his offending email to you
You must be dealing with a different class of spammer than I, because all of the spam I see has forged reply addresses (so my "replies" would go to completely innocent parties). Also, if he is sending his mail via botnet, his "offending IP addresses" are not his at all, they belong to large providers from whom he has "borrowed" them.

Really, in my experience it isn't a good idea to reply directly to spammers. Just report them and get their adresses blocklisted and their web redirectors removed.

-- rick

Rick:

I rarely reply to them except when I'm bored and want to have some fun.

For example, I have an entire file of "Rich Lady Dying" SpamScams, and when I get a new one, I send the others to him in one large email and suggest sincerely that she (he) start a support group. Since they respond, I must assume they're getting my email, rather than some innocent party.

In fact, since the object of their spam in the first place is to elicit a dialogue that they hope will lead to taking your money, I can't imagine what advantage there would be to forging a return address, so yes, I guess I am getting a different class of spammer.

pax vobiscum,

gonnagetcha

PS Sorry, you meant forged IP addresses, rather than email addresses - I was up late, so this is early for me, my bad - but since many of them ARE taking the bait, forged IP's or not, they're falling for it.

gg

Really, in my experience it isn't a good idea to reply directly to spammers. Just report them and get their adresses blocklisted and their web redirectors removed.

Actually, there's a group, found at http://www.419eater.com, who believe just the opposite. They prefer to bait the spammers and waste their time, preferring that the spammers continue to use recognizable addresses so that they can be more easily identified. I was invited to join the group, but I feel as you do, that although they (the spammers) WILL get new addresses, still, in order to maintain a profitable business, they have to have a pipeline of prospective victims in place, and disrupting that pipeline would likely have a greater effect than baiting.

Besides, baiting takes as much of the baiter's time as it does the spammers, and I have little enough time as it is. But once in a while, I HAVE to take a fun break --

gg

Since they respond, I must assume they're getting my email, rather than some innocent party.
419ers are rather an exception to the general run of spam, precisely because they do expect e-mail replies. When I have the time, I will generally report these e-mail addresses to their providers. It gets a bit tricky since you may well find that when you reply, your reply is going to an address other than the "From" address in the message (i.e., it goes to a "Reply-To" address). This is an extremely common form of subterfuge in 419 mail.

PS Sorry, you meant forged IP addresses, rather than email addresses - I was up late, so this is early for me, my bad - but since many of them ARE taking the bait, forged IP's or not, they're falling for it.
No, I meant forged "From" addresses, which are pretty much SOP in all varieties of spam (e.g., pills, watches) other than frauds.

-- rick

It gets a bit tricky since you may well find that when you reply, your reply is going to an address other than the "From" address in the message (i.e., it goes to a "Reply-To" address).

OK, I see what you're saying - sorry for the fuzzy-brain earlier - and I agree completely, rarely is the addy in the "From" box the one to which the mail is sent when one replies.

Good hunting --

gg

Archived