Hotmail spam Reporting

cyberdyne2

Can spam sent by legitimate Hotmail accounts only be reported by Hotmail / Live / MSN users?

Each time I send a report to abuse [at] hotmail.com or report_spam [at] hotmail.com I receive a message including the line:

"Unfortunately, in order to process your request, Hotmail Support needs a valid MSN/Hotmail hosted account. "

Does this mean spam reported by non-Hotmail/Live/MSN users is ignored/deleted/discarded?

Has anyone else come across this?

Thank you

Can you email me a copy of the email you're getting from HotMail when you report those spams?

Email me at: service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Please do NOT post the emai in this forum.

Can you post a TRACKING URL you get from the top of the SpamCop page when you process one of these spams? We can use it to see what SpamCop is seeing.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

Does this mean spam reported by non-Hotmail/Live/MSN users is ignored/deleted/discarded?

Has anyone else come across this?

I get this message quite a bit, possibly in a somewhat different context than you, but I don't think it means that Hotmail won't act on a valid, well-documented report from outside.

I frequently report e-mail addresses that are used by con artists as drop boxes (I do so outside of SpamCop, since this isn't strictly a proper use of SpamCop). I think I am likely to get this message if the Hotmail minion decides that Hotmail service isn't involved in the spam, either because the spam didn't go through Hotmail servers, or that the e-mail address in question is not served by Hotmail resources.

I have had success with them (although I am not a Hotmail user) when I add explanations to the report such as (where applicable) "...while this message did not come through Hotmail network space, it does positively request reply to a Hotmail address...", or, "...I see that Hotmail is listed as a contact in abuse.net for the w.cn domain, and that Hotmail hosts provide MX service for the w.cn domain"

This has resulted in more positive responses from Hotmail, in fact, they do much better than some others I could name (the Y-people, the G-people, etc.).

-- rick

Can you email me a copy of the email you're getting from HotMail when you report those spams?

I should have added that these are not spam emails which I am reporting using SpamCop. On this occasion, I reported them manually. But thank you.

I have had success with them (although I am not a Hotmail user) when I add explanations to the report such as (where applicable) "...while this message did not come through Hotmail network space, it does positively request reply to a Hotmail address...", or, "...I see that Hotmail is listed as a contact in abuse.net for the w.cn domain, and that Hotmail hosts provide MX service for the w.cn domain"

Many thanks, I'll try this next time.

Archived