How should I publicly out a spam-friendly ISP?

dwhitcombe

A couple of days ago, I got a spam from an IP address in the US.

If it comes from a botnet, I just delete it, but if it comes from somewhere with a reverse DNS, I check to see if it's an open-relay host.

If it isn't, then I got me a SPAMMER!

So I check this "guy" out, and he's:

Arin - Tom Beck and he's got like 551 IP addresses from ColoCrossing.com.

I email abuse[at]colocrossing.com, letting them know they're harboring a spammer, and then I get more spam from the nice fellow.

A few more emails back to them (I wrote a little mangle of ping.c that queries all "Tom Beck's" IP addresses and find that of the 551, some 300 are up) and I get a response:

"We took down the servers."

Cool! I hurt a spammer.

But, noooo.

Today, I get a new spam, from a new IP address from ColoCrossing that was registered to TB-20 YESTERDAY.

I bunged off an email to all the good folks at velocity servers (the parent corp. of ColoCrossing) and am waiting to see what happens, but it appears as though ColoCrossing is the new home of 7Reach.com.

All, a nasty bunch of spammers in Florida.

ROKSO for 7Reach.

So, what should I do now to turn up the heat on colocrossing to pull the plug on 7reach?

-David.

So, what should I do now to turn up the heat on colocrossing to pull the plug on 7reach?
This may be a bit prosaic for you, but I figure the best thing is just to keep reporting them so that they land on (or stay on) some blacklists. When their honest customers start complaining or leaving due to inability to send mail, post to web boards, etc., then maybe they will get the message.

-- rick

• 1 month later...

This may be a bit prosaic for you, but I figure the best thing is just to keep reporting them so that they land on (or stay on) some blacklists. When their honest customers start complaining or leaving due to inability to send mail, post to web boards, etc., then maybe they will get the message.

-- rick

Well said. Loss of customers/revenue is something any ISP will have a clear understanding of.

Archived