good reporter?

tourix

I got this message I don't understand. it says:

You have submitted spam which has not yet been reported. Please avoid re-reporting spam. If you have already reported this spam or do not want to report it, please make sure to click "cancel" instead of submitting the report!

I guess submitting spam which has not yet been reported is good ( I suppose it means I am the first person submitting this one). But the following admonition makes me think that I did something wrong, i.e. submitting the same spam twice. Both interpretations cannot be true the same time. I don't understand the line of argument, maybe because english is not my native language.

Also, I thought I understood the difference between submitting and reporting. Submitting = sending; reporting = sending/submitting a report to the adminstrator of a spammer? The re-reporting must be sending the same report twice?

Hi, tourix!

...Welcome!

I got this message I don't understand. it says:

You have submitted spam which has not yet been reported. Please avoid re-reporting spam. If you have already reported this spam or do not want to report it, please make sure to click "cancel" instead of submitting the report!

I guess submitting spam which has not yet been reported is good ( I suppose it means I am the first  person submitting this one). But the following admonition makes me think that I did something wrong, i.e. submitting the same spam twice. Both interpretations cannot be true the same time.  I don't understand the line of argument, maybe because english is not my native language.

Also, I thought I understood the difference between submitting and reporting. Submitting = sending; reporting = sending/submitting a report to the adminstrator of a spammer? The re-reporting must be sending the same report twice?

...First, the message "Please avoid re-reporting spam. If you have already reported this spam or do not want to report it, please make sure to click "cancel" instead of submitting the report!" is a warning that everyone who uses the SpamCop reporting system) receives. There are two ways to report spam - via e-mail and via pasting the spam headers and body into a web page interface. This message just means that if you've already reported this spam with the web-based interface (from your description of what you have done, you have not), do not do it again with this web page.

...Here are some FAQ links that I think may help answer your other questions:

...If you still have questions after reading these, please do return here and post them.

...Good luck!

Both interpretations cannot be true the same time. I don't understand the line of argument, maybe because english is not my native language.

People whose native language is American English would not understand that admonition any better than you do. It is not exactly jargon, but, for some reason, it does make sense to the technically fluent people.

I think it means that while there is more than one method to submit spam, an individual spam should not be submitted by more than one method. If you notice that this spam has already been submitted by another method, please cancel.

Miss Betsy

Archived