Forwarding from AOL

carnyman

I recently switched to AOL and cannot forward spam messages to spamcop with the full headers. Spamcop cannot tell me how to either. I asked:

How can I send you messages with complete headers?? I tried using "forward", "Ctrl+forward" and "Alt+forward", but they all come back. What do I need to do????.

and here was their response:

"To be honest, I don't know. I'm not AOL support and don't know their program. A google search yields some results but not the right answer.

It's sad that most of the big suppliers have opted to protect spammers and scammers and other criminals by making it impossible for their users to identify where the mail is really coming from. Then to add insult,

they lay off all their support staff and outsource it."

I cannot get a response from AOL.

Can any of you computer wizards inform me?

Is this a "Webmail" problem as opposed to POP'ing the server?

Webmail headers tend to only disclose intranet IP's hiding where email originates

As always you are best POP a Gmail account (leave e "mail on server")

Email clients like Thunderbird CTRL + U show all headers use with MailWasher

You can then have the best of both worlds with reading online as well

Never a good idea to automatically use a providers email account

Is this a "Webmail" problem as opposed to POP'ing the server?

Webmail headers tend to only disclose intranet IP's hiding where email originates

As always you are best POP a Gmail account (leave e "mail on server")

Email clients like Thunderbird CTRL + U show all headers use with MailWasher

You can then have the best of both worlds with reading online as well

Never a good idea to automatically use a providers email account

HUH? I do not understand what you are saying.

• 9 months later...

I recently switched to AOL and cannot forward spam messages to spamcop with the full headers. Spamcop cannot tell me how to either. I asked:

How can I send you messages with complete headers?? I tried using "forward", "Ctrl+forward" and "Alt+forward", but they all come back. What do I need to do????.

and here was their response:

"To be honest, I don't know. I'm not AOL support and don't know their program. A google search yields some results but not the right answer.

It's sad that most of the big suppliers have opted to protect spammers and scammers and other criminals by making it impossible for their users to identify where the mail is really coming from. Then to add insult,

they lay off all their support staff and outsource it."

At the top of the AOL email window, you see Subject, Date, From and To, and just underneath that "Sent from the Internet" and "(Details)". If you click on "(Details)", you get a window with the headers. You can right click and do "select all", then right click again and "copy". You can then hit forward, then go to the top of the email and paste the headers and send. Your problem after that is that spamcop doesn't seem to fully accept the header format from one of the world's largest email providers and targets of spam. It's your problem. So far for me submitting that way, it never appears to get to the body which could be the most important information in identifying the spammers.

Also, if you do the forward method to spamcop, it sometimes still loses links in the body text in processing. Again it's your problem. Figure out a way to get the raw HTML even though AOL doesn't actually give you access to it.

You can try to use the two part submission form that spamcop provides with the "outlook/eudora workaround form" You have to log into spamcop, click on the "Report spam" tab, and check to make sure you are using the correct form. Copy the headers as noted above and paste into first box. Back to the email, right click over the body, select all, copy, then paste that into the 2nd box. But since AOL doesn't allow you to copy the "raw" HTML code, if there is an embedded link, like one that says something like "click here", spamcop only sees "click here" and ignores the link. That's also your problem. :(

Anyone out there have any idea on how to get AOL to display the decoded HTML of emails, please respond.

Another user noted that the AOL web browser does have a way to get the detailed info for reporting.

If you use a web browser and go to AOL.COM to read your email, click on "Action" at the top of the email, then "View Message Source". So far for me, it does take a few moments for a new window to appear, sometimes requiring I do it twice, or possibly allow pop ups depending on your browser settings. Select all the text, and copy. Then log into the spamcop website, click on Report spam. Paste into the single box.below "Paste entire spam", then click on "Process spam".

No indication yet that the "native" AOL software has any way to do that.

Archived