Are @spamcop.net addresses ever used to opt in?

Hey everyone, new user here sorry if this question is answered somewhere else, I sued the search feature first and saw no results for optin, and couldn't search for opt in as that search is three characters or less per word.

Moving forward, this is the sitch:

I'm an email administrator for an ESP - we HATE spam and try our best to send mail on an opt in only basis.

Things can get a bit tricky when dealing with existing lists that are imported into the system, we've got a number of filters and red flags that are set off by things like invalid mx records (most likely an old list) , some formatting queues, and a few other things.

That being said recently I ran into an account with a list that looks legitimate - However there is a spamcop.net address on it. I'm wondering if [at]spamcop.net accounts are ever used to legitimately opt into newsletter or followup emails.

If not, it is a clear indication of list harvesting on our potential customers part and thus we do not want to mail for them. If so it seems they are legit and keep a squeaky clean mailing program.

If you have any insight please let me know! We're doing our best to eradicate spam and any insight or guidance you may have is greatly appreciated!

-Brendan

Hi, Brendan,

...Welcome!

...First: thank you so much for first trying a search on your very first visit here! No, this is not a question to which you are likely to find an answer in this Forum.

...The answer is: yes, spamcop.net e-mail addresses are used by subscribers just like any other e-mail addresses, so it would not be a surprise that a legitimate opt-in request would have been sent from a spamcop.net e-mail address.

...You may be interested in the SpamCop FAQ (links to which appear near the top of each SpamCop Forum web page, including this one) entry labeled "Am I running mailing lists responsibly? Updated!"

I'm an email administrator for an ESP - we HATE spam and try our best to send mail on an opt in only basis.

<snip>

If you have any insight please let me know! We're doing our best to eradicate spam and any insight or guidance you may have is greatly appreciated!

-Brendan

[at]spamcop.net address's have no connection to "spamcop.net reporting" who are a Cisco service. As long as you receive "abuse" reports and read them you will have no problem. In fact SpamCop will notify you of security concerns (hacked accounts botnets and so on)

"spamcop.net email" are a legacy issue which are set-up to easily & effectively report spam via "spamcop.net" reporting service (Cisco). Anyone who uses spamcop email can use it to retrieve their email from all providers, to sort "spam" from "ham".

Many like me just have my email sent directly to my "spamcop.net email" address directly. My address's has never been killed by spammers and I have used it since the 1990's. This address has "killed" many spammers including sending them to court to serve jail time.

Hey everyone, new user here sorry if this question is answered somewhere else, I sued the search feature first and saw no results for optin, and couldn't search for opt in as that search is three characters or less per word.

Moving forward, this is the sitch:

Things can get a bit tricky when dealing with existing lists that are imported into the system, we've got a number of filters and red flags that are set off by things like invalid mx records (most likely an old list) , some formatting queues, and a few other things.

That being said recently I ran into an account with a list that looks legitimate - However there is a spamcop.net address on it. I'm wondering if [at]spamcop.net accounts are ever used to legitimately opt into newsletter or followup emails.

If not, it is a clear indication of list harvesting on our potential customers part and thus we do not want to mail for them. If so it seems they are legit and keep a squeaky clean mailing program.

-Brendan

There are two separate companies using/operating under the name SpamCop - the reporting system and blocklist are owned by Cisco Systems and the email system is owned by CESmail. The email addresses, which cost $30/yr, are in the domains spamcop.net/cesmail.net/cqmail.net. Some users have their other email addresses forwarded to their [at]spamcop.net/cesmail.net/cqmail.net email addresses and others give their spamcop/cesmail/cqmail addresses to friends and use them to sign up for commercial and list mails.

Having a spamcop.net/cesmail.net/cqmail.net email address on a customer list is not a sign of a bad list per se any more than having a gmail address or a yahoo address. This is not to say that the addresses aren't scraped/dictionaried and added to spam lists cause they are just as any email domain is.

Thanks for asking. If you have an issue with mails being reported as spam using the Spamcop reporting system the address to write to is deputies [at] admin.spamcop.net; if you have a question about the email system you can write to me support [at] spamcop.net or service [at] spamcop.net

Archived