Outdated spams???

In the last days I get spams rejected from analysis by SpamCom with the message telling me that the entered message is too old. Even brand new spams get this! Example from a spam mail just seconds old:

"Sorry, this email is too old to file a spam report. You must report spam within 2 days of receipt. This mail was received on 3 Jul 2012 20:39:27 -0000".

I suspect that somewhere in th chain of events somebody deliberately changes the internal dates of the message (as shown in the spam mails), such that the analysis part fail and not marking the mail as spam. Or, am I wrong?

I got a lot of over-aged spam just the last couple of days, but this was because the spams really were too old (the SC service had temporarily slowed to where it was impossible complete reports for a couple of days).

-- rick

<snip>

I suspect that somewhere in th chain of events somebody deliberately changes the internal dates of the message (as shown in the spam mails), such that the analysis part fail and not marking the mail as spam. Or, am I wrong?

...In general, the SpamCop parser uses header lines that it deems trustworthy, so that situation should be rare. The more usual situation, I have found, is that I received the spam long after my e-mail provider's system received it and SpamCop, per its rules, used the system received date/time, not the delivery (to me) date/ time, in its calculation. YMMV, though. :) <g>. In the current environment, though, Richard's reply is most likely the answer to your question on this occasion.

...On another unrelated note, you may wish to look at the first post in "Spammers love Forum name = e-mail address", especially the "Quote." Your call, though.

Archived