Does SpamCop Email filter out bounces?

I use a number of different email addresses, e.g. set up through a web hosting service or on sneakemail.com.

Occasionally I'll turn one of the addresses "off", with the intention that further email sent to that address will be bounced back to the sender because the address is no longer valid.

If I send a test email to an address I've turned off, I don't receive a "bounce" message through SpamCop IMAP/POP3/Webmail, although I'm pretty sure I used to receive such bounce messages.

Is SpamCop filtering out these bounces?

Hi, Dave_L!

...Well, I sure hope that CES (not SpamCop; anomalously, SpamCop does not itself provide the "SpamCop E-mail Service!") does not send any bounce messages -- to whom would it send it? The problem with most bounce processes is that they frequently go to the "From" or "Reply-to" address, which can be easily forged and, therefore, such bounces would be spam (see SpamCopWiki: MisdirectedBounce).

...Edit approx 7 hours after I originally replied: now that I re-read the inquiry, I may have misunderstood -- Dave_L, were you asking whether SpamCop used to but has now stopped sending bounces or whether bounces coming back to your SpamCop address from other servers is being filtered out by SpamCop?

Bounces of email sent by SpamCop Email Service users go to the user who sent the email. Assuming the email bounces. Mail to an invalid SneakEmail address might just go to the trash.

The SpamCop filters might be diverting the bounces to your Held Mail folder. You should check there.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

Bounces of email sent by SpamCop Email Service users go to the user who sent the email.

<snip>

...Don, do you know (and, if so, are you allowed to say) how the e-mail service determines "who sent the email?" I presume it is smart enough to not use either the "From" or "Reply-to" address found in the e-mail headers....

...Edit approx 7 hours after I originally replied: now that I re-read the inquiry, I may have misunderstood -- Dave_L, were you asking whether SpamCop used to but has now stopped sending bounces or whether bounces coming back to your SpamCop address from other servers is being filtered out by SpamCop?

I use a number of different email addresses, e.g. set up through a web hosting service or on sneakemail.com.

Occasionally I'll turn one of the addresses "off", with the intention that further email sent to that address will be bounced back to the sender because the address is no longer valid.

If I send a test email to an address I've turned off, I don't receive a "bounce" message through SpamCop IMAP/POP3/Webmail, although I'm pretty sure I used to receive such bounce messages.

Is SpamCop filtering out these bounces?

I turned off one of my addresses at spamex.com and sent a test message to that address from my spamcop email account. At the destination end (spamex) I see a rejected message followed by two retries (both rejected). I then received a "bounce" message back to my spamcop account as "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)". That message is below.

So to answer your question, no, spamcop is not filtering out bounces, and they are not diverted to the Held folder. Hope this helps.

The following message to <FF66[at]xemaps.com> was undeliverable.

The reason for the problem:

5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'User unknown'

Final-Recipient: rfc822;FF66[at]xemaps.com

Action: failed

Remote-MTA: dns; [107.23.174.199]

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'User unknown' (delivery attempts: 2)

Reporting-MTA: dns; c60.cesmail.net

Archived