Email address blocked

dannal

Can someone explain why an email address which I use frequently is suddenly being blocked - apparently by SpamCop.

This is the message I received:

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-6-imp. I am sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. The message is attached below. The remote mail system said: http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?80.0.253.70

Can someone explain why an email address which I use frequently is suddenly being blocked - apparently by SpamCop.

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-6-imp. I am sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. The message is attached below. The remote mail system said: http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?80.0.253.70

Probably a Botnet not yet detected by CBL

http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queri...ing=80.0.253.70

May be a compromised email account taken over by spammer

Other hosts in this "neighborhood" with spam reports

80.0.253.65 80.0.253.66 80.0.253.67 80.0.253.68 80.0.253.69 80.0.253.71 80.0.253.72 80.0.253.73 80.0.253.74 80.0.253.75

Your provider needs to consider

BLOCK OUTBOUND PORT 25, RESERVE FOR LEGIT EMAIL SERVER

CHANGE TO SECURE PASSWORD

SCAN INFECTED COMPUTER FOR MALWARE

The reported spam seems to be "pharm" spam referring to Russian web sites

Hi, dannal,

...Sorry to hear of your problem. You may wish to peruse the SpamCop FAQ (links to which appear near the top left of each SpamCop Forum page) articles labeled (you don't need to look at both of the first two, they should contain essentially the same content; of the two, I would recommend the second over the first):

• Why am I Blocked? Forum Post
  • Why Am I Blocked? Probable Causes - Wiki
  • If my IP is listed, does it mean I am a spammer or my ISP hosts spammers?

...Not particularly relevant to you but just to make it clearer exactly what role SpamCop played in your issue:

• " ... an email address which I use frequently is suddenly being blocked ..." It wasn't your e-mail address that was blocked, it was e-mail (in this case, yours) coming from the machine identified as 80.0.253.70. Why suddenly? The SpamCop blacklist is very dynamic, rapidly adding and removing IP addresses that are seen to be sources of spam. It could also be that 80.0.253.70 has been on the SpamCop blacklist for some time but you've never before sent e-mail to know-smtprelay-6-imp and they are the only service among those to which you have sent e-mail that uses the SpamCop blacklist to decide to block e-mails.
  • "... blocked - apparently by SpamCop." SpamCop is not able to block anything; your e-mail was (apparently) blocked by the admin/ software of machine know-smtprelay-6-imp, allegedly because 80.0.253.70 is on the SpamCop blacklist. Note that blocking based on the blacklist is something that SpamCop recommends against, for various reasons; however, administrators of networks processing incoming e-mails are entitled to use any reasons they wish to block incoming messages -- as others put it quite correctly, "their server, their rules."

• 1 month later...

Clearly, huh! Please, why is this so clear? What facts am I clearly missing?

SpamCop publish these Blocklists irresponsibly. To suggest that a whole IP address be blocked because of one possible abuser is sheer incompetence.

They also sell services that do exactly the same. To not properly identify the abuser is both irresponsible and incompetent.

What would be responsible and competent? Actually identifying the real abuser and working with the ISPs to eliminate the same.

I just lost a $37K deal with a European company because my email was INCORRECTLY identified as a source of spam. SpamCop provided the incorrect information. According to that company, it was SpamCop's service they used.

... Note that blocking based on the blacklist is something that SpamCop recommends against, for various reasons; ...

Note that they actually call them Blocklists.

I know SpamCop are not entirely to blame for what has happened to me (more than once), but they are a HUGE part of it.

Clearly, huh! Please, why is this so clear? What facts am I clearly missing?
...You write, "There is no excuse for SpamCop doing this." That assumes there's a better way. You offer no support for that assumption. You write, "Their methods are just plain incompetent" but in fact they've been at it for a long time and have a great deal of support. Their approach has been much discussed here and seems to be as good an approach as is available from the information they can glean given the current state of the internet and e-mail.
SpamCop publish these Blocklists irresponsibly. To suggest that a whole IP address be blocked because of one possible abuser is sheer incompetence.
...There's nothing irresponsible about publishing the blacklist. SpamCop makes no suggestion that anything be blocked; it recommends against that, in fact.
They also sell services that do exactly the same.
...I am unaware of anything that SpamCop sells, other than its blacklist. Perhaps you are referring to Cisco. Even so, I do not understand the relevance.
To not properly identify the abuser is both irresponsible and incompetent.What would be responsible and competent? Actually identifying the real abuser and working with the ISPs to eliminate the same.
...That would be true if it were possible for SpamCop to identify the specific abuser. The owner of the IP address would be the only one who could do that and, for obvious (I hope) reasons, they don't identify their customers to SpamCop. And if they did, I would think that SpamCop would be unwilling to rely on that information. What makes you believe that SpamCop does not do what it can to help identify the actual abuser (noting that all it can do is to offer the information it has seen from SpamCop reports or minimal information from SpamCop spamtraps that would not compromise the identify of those spamtraps)?
I just lost a $37K deal with a European company because my email was INCORRECTLY identified as a source of spam. SpamCop provided the incorrect information. According to that company, it was SpamCop's service they used.
...Sorry to hear that but you're blaming the wrong entity. SpamCop did NOT identify YOUR e-mail as the source of spam; it may have identified the outgoing IP address of your provider as a spam source. And we have seen not infrequent cases of SpamCop or the SpamCop BL being mentioned as the reason for the block when it turned out that wasn't actually the case.
Note that they actually call them Blocklists.
...And this discussion is precisely the reason I refer to the SpamCop BL as blacklist, not a blocklist, even though SpamCop itself does -- a rare case of my strongly disagreeing with SpamCop! :) <g>.
I know SpamCop are not entirely to blame for what has happened to me (more than once), but they are a HUGE part of it.
...Well, thanks for that, at least! This is the most clearly accurate thing you have written (although not entirely -- the word "HUGE" does not seem to me to fit the actual size of SpamCop's role; and your initial post here and other posts seem to me to imply otherwise -- that SpamCop is entirely and solely to blame). But it seems to me it's very much like blaming an auto manufacturer for making the car that hit you -- nearly all the blame really needs to be placed on the driver, which in this analogy would represent the spammers using your provider's service and your provider's admins and techs for not being able to get rid of them, and to a lesser extent those admins of your potential customers who are using the SCBl to block your e-mail, contrary to SpamCop's recommendation.

• 2 months later...

Have the same problem too.

Being a paid spamcop user I can see reports for that IP address

http://mailsc.spamcop.net/sc?track=80.0.253.70

and click on past reports

Submitted: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:12:03 UTC:

{subject} Bring unearthly pleasure with miraculous remedy! Safe anonymous shop!

So some spam anyway.

That addie is not in the Spamcop BL but other Virgin media are

http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queri...ing=80.0.253.70

Example 81.104.62.43

Archived