SPAM header had MY biz isp in it!

kyndri

I don't know much about how to readers headers and such but I do know my business' ISP when I see it. I was copying the header from an obvious spam using Outlook Express when I noticed that, somewhere in her from field, she had MY business' ISP! How did she do that and HOW can I safeguard myself against this? Does this mean she has access to anything in my files? I've never given my password to anyone and it's not something anyone would ever guess. I don't know what to do. What if I get blacklisted for spamming when I'm not doing anything? Heck, I just put up my form for an ezine yesterday and I've got four subscribers including myself.

In short, a spammer is using my ISP in her header. How can I make her stop, how can I prevent this from happening and how can I make sure people don't get mad at ME?

Thanks...

I don't know much about how to readers headers and such but I do know my business' ISP when I see it. I was copying the header from an obvious spam using Outlook Express when I noticed that, somewhere in her from field, she had MY business' ISP! How did she do that and HOW can I safeguard myself against this? Does this mean she has access to anything in my files? I've never given my password to anyone and it's not something anyone would ever guess. I don't know what to do. What if I get blacklisted for spamming when I'm not doing anything? Heck, I just put up my form for an ezine yesterday and I've got four subscribers including myself.

In short, a spammer is using my ISP in her header. How can I make her stop, how can I prevent this from happening and how can I make sure people don't get mad at ME?

Thanks...

Hi, kyndri,

...There really isn't much you can do about this. No one who knows anything about e-mail will blame you for the spam -- it is widely known that the "From" address is easily forged. The spammer is simply replacing the spammer's "From" address with yours, (s)he is not (necessarily) accessing your files. Needless to say, you should certainly be running appropriate software, including anti-virus and a personal firewall.

Archived