Mail notifications

Katja

I receive quite a few emails that someone could not receive my email because their mailbox was full or that someone warns me that I've been sending a virus to them. An auto-generated message, that is. And from several kinds of anti-virus software even.

The weird part, however, is that they appear to be sent from an email alias that I have, not the original account. (The advantage is that you can easily change an alias if too much spam starts getting in that mailbox.) This alias might be known by quite a few people and has probably ended up on someone's infected computer. That computer is then sending virusses to quite a few people while spoofing the email headers with my email address. As a result, people think I'm sending these virusses...

One other thing... I'm not online that often and my computer is turned off most of the time. I also have the latest NAV software and it's updated on a daily basis. My system is free of any virusses. Besides, even if it's infected, there's also a firewall and a proxy server that these virusses need to get past. So I'm pretty sure that I'm not the one who is sending these messages.

Yet people seem to auto-reply to me, warning that I'm sending them virusses. They've probably never heard of spoofed email headers. So my question is:

Can people who send these virus warnings to the wrong person be reported to SpamCop, just because they're sending me unsollicited emails? At this moment I'm receiving about 10 of these emails each day, often from the same person. It's just a waste of the short time that I'm online. Besides, my mailbox has a limited size and they often send the original email back to me, filling my mailbox up quite fast. As a result, I sometimes don't even receive any legitimate emails...

So, can I report these morons for their stupidity? If they want to warn people about virusses, they should warn the RIGHT person, not poor me, the spoof victim...

So, can I report these morons for their stupidity? If they want to warn people about virusses, they should warn the RIGHT person, not poor me, the spoof victim...

Yes, you can report these people for their stupidity, but not through spamcop.

You can parse the headers, but be sure to CANCEL the report. And then send a report of your own to the proper administrator.

You might mention that very often these notices are sent to spamtraps maintained by several blocklists (not just spamcop's) and that when these notices hit the spamtraps, the IP address will go on the blocklist. Spamcop is the easiest blocklist to get off because it is automatic.

Miss Betsy

Archived