Should I ignore this?

tijat

After 5 attempts at unsubscribing from a spammers mailing list, I signed up for Spamcop and reported it. I got the following message from the spammer...any suggestions? If they were able to send me this email, wouldn't they already have my address? I scrambled any identification in this message just to be on the safe side.

Hello SpamCop user,

I will be happy to unsubscribe you from ### if you provide an email address.

Thanks,

###

Please use the link below to review the report in question:

http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=showhis...eportid;val=###

Hi, tijat, and welcome!

After 5 attempts at unsubscribing from a spammers mailing list, I signed up for Spamcop and reported it.  I got the following message from the spammer...any suggestions?  If they were able to send me this email, wouldn't they already have my address?  I scrambled any identification in this message just to be on the safe side.

Hello SpamCop user,

I will be happy to unsubscribe you from ### if you provide an email address.

Thanks,

###

Please use the link below to review the report in question:

http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=showhis...eportid;val=###

25912[/snapback]

...If the unsubscribe process you used included your e-mail address then, yes, I would say that the damage is done. Which is NOT to suggest that you should go ahead and provide the requested information again! Also, the fact that the spammer managed to get this e-mail to you is not really evidence that (s)he has your e-mail address -- SpamCop passes on e-mail to you that's sent to an e-mail address that includes enough information about your spam report to identify you to SpamCop but not to the spammer.

...The consensus among contributors to these fora is that it is a good practice to NOT reply to unsolicited requests for information, especially spammy ones.

Turetzsr,

Thanks for the advice! I usually tend to ignore spam because I have managed to make a good blacklist within Outlook, just using the first two sests of numbers in common spammer IP addresses. However, this particular spammer's persistance finally touched a nerve.

I appreciate the help!

Turetzsr,

25918[/snapback]

...That's my forum login name. Please refer to me as "Steve" (see my sig). :) <g>

Thanks for the advice!

25918[/snapback]

...My pleasure!

I usually tend to ignore spam because I have managed to make a good blacklist within Outlook, just using the first two sests of numbers in common spammer IP addresses.

<snip>

25918[/snapback]

...Really? I haven't been able to figure out how to get Outlook to look at internet headers (I presume that's where you are going to get the IP addresses). Can you give me a clue?

Hi Steve.

Sorry, I missed the fine print. It should be in Outlook 2003 under Tools>rules and alerts. Older versions didn't have the message header option. I have it set to look in the message header for "[###.##." It is a pain to set up. I kept track of all the spam IP addresses I got for two weeks. Then, leaving out ones originating from cities or domains similar to my actual contacts, I generated a "send to trash list" based on the left bracket and the first two numbers in the IP address. This has worked pretty well, but I still get a lot of spam from the domains I left out.

Hi Steve.

Sorry, I missed the fine print.  It should be in Outlook 2003 under Tools>rules and alerts.  Older versions didn't have the message header option. <snip>

25923[/snapback]

...Yes, I saw that option, too but didn't think it was working. I'll try it a bit more carefully. Thanks!

Archived