Open Proxies and Spam

n7zzt

ok,

recently, I ran afoul of a newsgroup user over on the standard usenet. next thing I know is that I am seeing a lot of spam I wasn't before.

so? what to do about it?

here is one answer (other than just reporting via spamcop, which is helpful): manually locate the offending ip, LART the administrators of the ip space in question and sit back and watch what happens...

Now, I have done the spamcop reporting thing for a better part of the last 3 years (and yes, it does work, after a fashion). However, sometimes a personal mail to the admins in question detailing the problems of "open proxies" and their relevance to network security sometimes will get faster results (I have personally closed down over 200 open proxies by this method in the last4 months). Between this manual larting and the spamcop reports, my spam level has droped back to the expected 5-10 spams a day.

Mind you, this method may not work for everyone (and yes, the spammers are getting increasingly clever about hiding their IP's) but, if it closes some security holes, then it goes a long way toward reducing the actual amount of UCE.

thoughts anyone?

Yes, I think it helps to manually notify admins - particularly for smaller networks. Also, aol was one of the backscatter culprits - I don't know what made them change their mind, but I always sent them a manual complaint and maybe so did others. IMHO, corporations who are competitive do listen to individual consumer complaints when they are numerous (or they go bankrupt).

But I had to laugh at your 'normal' 5 to 10 spam a day. I can remember when people were coming to spamcop because they were being overwhelmed with 10 spam a day!

I haven't had time to manually notify anyone for a long time, which is the reason why many people use spamcop.

Miss Betsy

But I had to laugh at your 'normal' 5 to 10 spam a day.  I can remember when people were coming to spamcop because they were being overwhelmed with 10 spam a day!

34938[/snapback]

5 - 10 a day is the expected norm. at my peak, I was seeing in the neighborhood of 500 a day in november of 2003 (that was a really bad time for me)

I am *so* glad I don't see that kind of load anymore.

Archived