Sucess Story

LeeRyder

A few days ago I reported "spam" coming from Monster.com's affiliate MilitaryResumes. As normal, I reported to SC, and just a few minutes ago got a reply.

The following is the 3 email convo that rectified the situation. (edited emails out for the "spammers" privacy)

To: 1641199881[at]reports.spamcop.net

Subject: Spamcop report id:1641199881

Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:56:06 -0500

Hello SpamCop user,

MilitaryResumes.com subscribes to both Monster.com and Careerbuilder.com.

We pay them full price to be a recruiter on their website.

Since you have placed your resume there looking for a job, and we are a paying employer/recruiter with those firms, we have the right to send you emails about job opportunities (we have over 5,000 jobs on our website).

If you'd like to discuss this, please feel free to call me.

Don Nowak

Chief Technology Officer

MilitaryResumes.com

phone: 404-

Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:33 PM

Subject: RE: Spamcop report id:1641199881

No sir, you do NOT have the right to spam, period. You have the right to show your ads on their site, I have have the right to opt out of any 2nd and 3rd party email messages, which I elected to do.

Shall I escalate this to Monster.com themselves?

Sincerely,

LSK

Lee,

You are correct. We apologize for the spam.

I was not aware that you had opted out and we should have honored that.

I will make sure that our salespeople pay attention to this more carefully in the future.

Sincerely,

Chief Technology Officer

MilitaryResumes.com

Needless to say, I am VERY impressed with this guy. So much so that I re-emailed him to apologise for giving him my "pat" generic spammer reply.

Ive seen spamcop work and it is awesome to see their sights get listed and go down... but it's nice to see people like this who work hard to keep it legit :)

You are right - your exchange is a good example of how reports /should/ work! People do make mistakes (such as overlooking your opt out).

And part of it was because you took the time to reply. Too many reporters ignore replies to the reporting address because of spammers trying to listwash. Also, too many admins do not point out errors to reporters either.

Good job!

Miss Betsy

Archived