Opt in Mailing lists by FX Style-Are they Spam?

Calpe

Hi, Newbie here. A few months back I bought some software from FxStyle and along with it were Opt in lists confirmed to be genuine. I recently wanted to get into Ecommerce and figured the best way would be to obtain or sign up for genuine Opt in Lists. When I sent my first email out, I got complaints from my ISP that spam Cops had received complaints and that the people I emailed said it was spam. My ISP said if I sent any more out I would lose my account.

So much for ecommerce, killed on the first try. Does anyone know anything about Fx Style, they have assured me in emails that their lists are genuine Opt in Lists, but now I dare not use them for fear of having my internet access terminated. Are there any genuine Opt in Lists out there? or is the internet full of scams?

I know I deal with exposing timeshare scams and I receive my fair share of spam emails, but I am keen to see spammers and scamsters brought to justice. My website is www.scambusters.gb.com if anyone could help it would be appreciated. I do not mind receiving a personal reply either to tony[at]scambusters.gb.com

Calpe

No, there is no such thing as a genuine 'opt-in' list.

The only way to have a mailing list is to use 'confirmed subscription' where when you gather an email address either from a form on your website, by telephone, by internet, etc. Then you send a 'confirmation' email without advertising that says that this email address was used to request mailings and to return the email if they want the mailings. If they return it, you have evidence that they requested it. If they don't, then you remove that email address from your list.

There is a lot more to responsible emailing - in the FAQ there is an entry with links on How to run mailing lists responsibly. If you intend to get into ecommerce, you need to understand a little more about the technical aspects of email than the average user or you will get into trouble again. I would advise studying a lot more.

Miss Betsy

I know I deal with exposing timeshare scams and I receive my fair share of spam emails, but I am keen to see spammers and scamsters brought to justice. My website is www.scambusters.gb.com if anyone could help it would be appreciated. I do not mind receiving a personal reply either to tony[at]scambusters.gb.com

Calpe

Then you should have done your homework. www.fxstyle.net is a spamware vendor that has been running on dynamic IP space out of Hong Kong for the last couple of years. If you read their pages which are so spammy it's unbelievable you would have received a small clue. You could have just checked NANAE for previous conversations about them. Also, having a site called scambusters you should have had enough sense to know you cannot purchase an opt-in list.

Good Luck.

Archived