nameservices.net what to do?

btech

I receive tons of spam with domains that are registered by nameservices.net, but abuse[at]nameservices.net bounces and if you look at the site, it's a log in page.

So I did some digging and this is what I see:

Parsing input: nameservices.net

Host nameservices.net (checking ip) = 208.234.1.121

host 208.234.1.121 (getting name) no name

Host nameservices.net (checking ip) = 208.234.1.121

host 208.234.1.121 (getting name) no name

[report history]

Routing details for 208.234.1.121

Report routing for 208.234.1.121: abuse[at]mci.com, abuse[at]uu.net

abuse[at]mci.com redirects to abuse[at]uu.net

Statistics:

208.234.1.121 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

More Information..

208.234.1.121 not listed in dnsbl.njabl.org

208.234.1.121 not listed in dnsbl.njabl.org

208.234.1.121 not listed in cbl.abuseat.org

208.234.1.121 not listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net

208.234.1.121 not listed in relays.ordb.org.

Reporting addresses:

abuse[at]uu.net

----

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=...et&cache=on

Domain Name: nameservices.net

Registrar: THE NAME IT CORPORATION DBA NAMESERVICES.NET

Registrant Contact

Name: KiJoal Bibo

Address: 201 4th Street

Delavan, WI 53115

US

Email Address: ****[at]cablejockey.com

Phone Number: (910)321-4480

Administrative Contact

Delavan, WI 53115

US

Technical Contact

Delavan, WI 53115

US

First off, 910 is a North Carolina area code, second is that cablejockey.com is a bunk address (which is registered by nameservices.net).

So what should I do here? I want to report this guy for being a shady registrar and hosting his buddies' spam sites, but does that mean I should take it up to MCI?

MCI (now verizon business) is the single biggest supporter of spammers and spam operations on the internet [reference]], so complaining to them is likely to be fruitless. However, what you might do is try sending some manual reports to the abuse[at]nameservices.net address and see if those bounce.

If not, keep in mind that as a registrar, they are only likely to take any action if there is something wrong with the registration (provably phoney information, etc). Very few registrars will take action based on spamvertised sites because they neither supply mail service nor website hosting to the spammer.

If, however, there is incorrect information in the registrations, or you can prove that the spammer has violated the registrars terms of service, and the registrar still proves unresponsive, you can file a complaint with ICANN, who can potentially revoke the registrars accredidation. This is pretty theoretical, as I have never heard of ICANN actually going all the way to revokation for this type of activity.

Well, most registrars that I've gone through had info in the TOS about using the domain name in spamming, so I have a little more faith in the reg's to yank the domain names... especially if they find out they CC used was stolen (which I can only assume 99.9% of spamvertized sites are regged with stolen CCs).

I can clearly tell that this is not a white hat operation, but it angers me that there's really no recourse. They're not ICANN acredited (so far as I can tell), so short of getting their host to do something, I guess it's a fruitless task.

• 4 months later...

Unless I'm mistaken, a registrar must be ICANN accredited to register .net, .com, or .org domain names, since those are regulated by ICANN.

FAQ

How to find out if a registrar is accredited with ICANN, and where to send complaints

Using NameServices / AIT as an example, here are 3 links to determine whether they are ICANN accredited, and the compliance email addresses to use.

1. http://www.icann.org/registrars/accreditat...ified-list.html

Find "Name IT"

Advanced Internet Technologies, Inc. (AIT) (United States)

http://www.aitdomains.com

The Name It Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Advanced Internet Technologies, Inc., will provide wholesale domain name registration services to AIT's customers, including ISPs. AIT provides an entire menu of online solutions, providing the back-end technology in support of thousands of facility and non-facility based ISPs/IPPs. AIT continues to grow each 10-15% monthly due to its customer-centric focus and open source approach to technology.

Tel: 1-877-209-5184, fax: 1-910-401-1040

Email: icanncompliance[at]aitcom.net

2. http://www.internic.net/regist.html

Find "Advanced Internet"

Registrar Logo Advanced Internet Technologies, Inc. (AIT)

421 Maiden Lane

Fayetteville, N.C. 28301

United States

1-877-209-5184, fax: 1-910-401-1040

icanncompliance[at]aitcom.net

3. http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=...om&email=on

Name: The Name It Corporation dba AIT Domains

Address: 421 Maiden Lane

Fayetteville, NC 28301

US

Email Address: support[at]aitdomains.com

Phone Number: 8775492881

Result: two email addresses, two phone numbers

• 2 weeks later...
I receive tons of spam with domains that are registered by nameservices.net, but abuse[at]nameservices.net bounces and if you look at the site, it's a log in page.

So what should I do here? I want to report this guy for being a shady registrar and hosting his buddies' spam sites, but does that mean I should take it up to MCI?

Well I check the spammers site and with IE7

I report those that ask for credit card payment promising security and not having it as a phishing site

Not sure what happens next but

Microsoft has contacts to crime authorities

It maybe that they just block IE from accessing these spammer sites that collect credit card numbers?

It may be they shut the site down?

CAUTION THIS LINK TO SPAMMERS SITE "Diet Pills" they make claims about using Verisign but do not

Maybe someone here knows exactly what Microsoft do with these sites when reported as a "phishing" site

I also filled out a complaint to Verisign about use of their trademark (A nonsensical form page)

The point is by pointing enforcement agencies/companies to start hunting down any spamming crimminal To then take just one out will often mean the reduction of spam by billions

The other fact is authorities seem to be getting better at catching spammers, with the courts convicting them.

When I first started reporting spam it was not often a spammer was hauled before the courts nowadays a quick google search comes up with a list of covictions monthly. This makes them sweat a little, by reporting spam it helps to not only block spammers but point the direction to Law/legal enforcement

• 2 months later...

Nameservices.net shows up as the registrar about 50% of the time when I am doing a NS traversal on various spamvertised sites, including our old favorite kemooon.com and regtopsales.com (both essentially the same site selling illegal replica watches).

After numerous complains to their abuse department showing the traversals, and the resulting WHOIS data implicating them as the registrar, and the sites remaining operational, I have become fed up and taken it one step further.

I have no idea if anything will come of it, but I just sent the following email to the Fayetteville NC police department:

I continously receive unsolicted emails for a site (kemooon.com) selling illegal replica's of various luxury watches.

These criminals use a company called AIT Domains, located at 421 Maiden Lane, Fayetteville NC to provide their domain registration services, and registration services for the name servers that allow their site to operate.

I have notified AIT Domains of this criminal activity NUMEROUS times over the past several weeks. I have received no response from them, and they continue to knowingly and willingly provide services to this criminal operation.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems that in a case like this where a company is knowingly assisting a criminal operation, they too should be prosecutable. How would I go about filing a complaint against them as accomplices to criminal activity?

I would be happy to provide copies of all the emails I have sent to them regarding the illegal website in question, as well as all the research I have done to track the provision of various services used by the website back to AIT domains.

This company should be held accountable as an accomplice to criminal activity, and while I doubt the Fayetteville police will act on a single complaint, maybe if they receive complaints from others that have met with no success in shutting down criminal services provided by AIT Domains, aka NamerServices.net, located in Fayetteville NC, they will act.

Anyone that has met with a similar lack of action on complaints to AIT can send a message to the Fayetteville police about AITs criminal activity, they have a handy web form here

HAH! Today is a good day! After repeated complaints, including the one above sent to local law enforcement, kemooon.com is DEAD. All but one name server is gone, and the one that is still listed does not respond.

*does a happy dance*

Take that counterfeit watch selling, email spamming scum!!

• 2 months later...
HAH! Today is a good day! After repeated complaints, including the one above sent to local law enforcement, kemooon.com is DEAD. All but one name server is gone, and the one that is still listed does not respond.

*does a happy dance*

Take that counterfeit watch selling, email spamming scum!!

Unfortunately, it now has nameservers ns0.lestem.com and ns1.lestem.com which are alive and well and just waiting for kemooon.com to find a new hosting service. (And it's still with AIT.)

• 1 year later...

I have had domains registered with AIT Domains for about 10 years. At the beginning, they seemed to be leaders in automating the process and providing low cost registry service (and of course none of the domains I manage are involved with spam).

However, they have turned out to be the worst kind of operation, full of errors in their user interface, and with almost no technical support: there is one individual in the whole company who knows about registry operations, only there basically 9-5 M-F. Their interface has barely changed since I started with them, and is quite awkward to use when dealing with a larger numbers of domains as I am.

I am in the process of moving all my domains to GoDaddy.com, which offers a beautiful and powerful user interface, 24x7 real tech support, and powerful features such as DNS entry control (which I need to map a Ning domain name into a standard non-Ning domain name).

It is a shame that a company that must have 10s or 100s of thousands of domains registered ignores and mistreats their clients as well as apparently allowing spammers.

Archived