Spam sent to Yahoo Groups owner address

saewylf

Hi,

I'm an owner of several Yahoo Groups and Yahoo creates an e-mail address for each group (suchandsuchgroup-owner[at]yahoogroups.com, for example) that then forwards to your personal e-mail address. I frequently get a lot of spam forwarded to me from those addresses because those addresses are listed directly on the group website, and accessible to anybody. Yahoo marks it as spam with their SpamGuard feature, but I would still like to report this spam to SpamCop.

I was simply wondering whether it is appropriate to report this spam to SpamCop even though it is technically not being sent directly to my personal e-mail address. Are there any rules regarding this, or should I go ahead and report?

Thank you.

I would try submitting one to the parser and seeing what it picks out as the source. If it sees the source as Yahoo, then submitting won't do you much more good than getting the Yahoo groups server blacklisted and possibly interfere with you receiving legitimate group emails. On the other hand, if the parser tracks back to the originating server, then by all means, report away.

I would try submitting one to the parser and seeing what it picks out as the source. If it sees the source as Yahoo, then submitting won't do you much more good than getting the Yahoo groups server blacklisted and possibly interfere with you receiving legitimate group emails. On the other hand, if the parser tracks back to the originating server, then by all means, report away.

OK, thanks. I will try reporting them. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the spam is not coming from Yahoo, but rather spammers are targeting publicly visible Yahoo addresses that act as forwarding addresses. I get some spam sent directly to my personal address as well, but the majority of what I receive seems to be forwarded through these Yahoo addresses and I'd definitely like to report them.

I didn't mean that it came from Yahoo. What I meant is that SpamCop may stop at the Yahoo group server which really wouldn't do you any good. I don't know if yahoo puts the correct headers in for the original source of a group message or not. I would submit one as a test, and look at the results of the parse to see where SpamCop thinks it should go. If it is going to Yahoo, I would cancel it since that won't do you much good. If on the other hand it is going to the original message source correctly, then they should be ok.

<snip>

I was simply wondering whether it is appropriate to report this spam to SpamCop even though it is technically not being sent directly to my personal e-mail address. Are there any rules regarding this, or should I go ahead and report?

Thank you.

...Were I in your position, I would consider asking Yahoo if instead of forwarding e-mail directed to suchandsuchgroup-owner[at]yahoogroups.com to my personal e-mail address they would grant me access directly to the Inbox of suchandsuchgroup-owner[at]yahoogroups.com and then I would submit the spam from there. Assuming, of course, that suchandsuchgroup-owner[at]yahoogroups.com is a real Yahoo e-mail address with an actual Inbox.

...Good luck!

Archived