Can I send email to 1,000 people who signed up for a newsletter?

clint_aodesign

Hello

My name is Clint. I am creating a mailing list manager that will send an newletter to everyone on the mailing list. The website visitors have to subscribe to the newletter before they can receive an email notifcation when the admin updates the newsletter on the website. They do have the option to go to the website and unsubscribe from the mailing list if they choose not to receive the email notifcations when the site is updated. Again, the visitor has to sign up for the mailing list before they can receive the emails. The thing is, there is over 1,000 people signed up for the mailing list. Is this spamming if the mailing list manager sends over 1,000 emails to the people who signed up for the mailing list. Again, this will only send ONE email to everyone on the mailing list. If you have any ideas please let me know. You may email me at clint[at]aodesign.com .

Thank you for your time

Clint Franklin

clint[at]aodesign.com

My name is Clint. I am creating a mailing list manager that will send an newletter to everyone on the mailing list.

If indeed everyone has signed themselves up to be on your list, and they remember that they did so, then you should not have a problem with complaints from recipients.

If you did NOT use confirmed opt-in, you are vulnerable to having people on your list who didn't ask to be there, which could result in complaints from them. You said that everyone has to sign up, but do they have to confirm separately that they wanted to be signed up? This last is a very crucial step.

You might want to let your ISP admin folks know what you are up to (if they don't already know), so that they won't be surprised to see a big (well, maybe medium-sized) bulk delivery suddenly appear.

I have a page on my own website that discusses these and some other issues with regard to bulk mailing:

http://www.rickconner.net/spamweb/ethicalbulkmail.html

-- rick

Hi, Clint!

...Welcome!

...Rick gave a very good answer. Additional information is available in the SpamCop FAQ (see link near top left of nearly every SpamCop Forum web page) item labeled "Am I running mailing lists responsibly? Updated!."

Archived