Large increase in SMTP traffic?

Telarin

In the last 2 weeks, incoming SMTP connection attempts to my primary mail server have risen from about 15,000 per day to 40,000 per day. Have any other mail server admins noticed this large recent increase in overall traffic? It is also worth noting, that the amount of spam getting through my blocklists and IMF have NOT increased, which means I am blocking a much higher percentage of spam during this surge.

In the last 2 weeks, incoming SMTP connection attempts to my primary mail server have risen from about 15,000 per day to 40,000 per day. Have any other mail server admins noticed this large recent increase in overall traffic? It is also worth noting, that the amount of spam getting through my blocklists and IMF have NOT increased, which means I am blocking a much higher percentage of spam during this surge.

I'm not an admin, but my personal daily spam load at home has gone up by 50% or so since the 1st of the year. Seems that a lot of this is due to the mortgage gang using the bogus TWC netblock in Brazil. SpamCop continues to catch almost all of it.

-- rick

Archived