The future of the .hk domain

bobbear

There is a Consultation Paper on the Review on Administration of Internet Domain Names in Hong Kong available at http://www.ogcio.gov.hk/eng/pubpress/downl...omainreview.pdf or via the HKDNR website newsreel. Comments are invited on the recommendations before finalising any proposals on changes and arrangements.

At present, the responsibility for the administration of all .hk domains rests with HKIRC who acquired the Hong Kong Domain Name Registration Company Limited (HKDNR), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the JUCC, (the previous administrator of .hk domains), for that purpose.

The consultation document itself makes fairly interesting reading. In particular the "Guiding Principles", which make no mention whatsoever of any basic 'ethical' considerations concerning domain registration & use such as legality, honesty & integrity or even spamming as one would expect to be enshrined in a defined and applied Acceptable Use Policy which one would have thought would have been an important 'guiding principle'.

That isn't much of a surprise to anyone like me who regards the registrar HKDNR as little more than a 'front' company to criminal fraudsters, zombie botnet controllers & spammers by its apparent unwillingness to apply its own registration agreement/AUP to suspend even the most blatant crooks, not to mention the burgeoning number of spammers who are exploiting the apparent 'domain for life' policy of HKDNR, no matter what fraudulent, spamming or abusive purposes the domain is used for.

That isn't much of a surprise to anyone like me who regards the registrar HKDNR as little more than a 'front' company to criminal fraudsters, zombie botnet controllers & spammers by its apparent unwillingness to apply its own registration agreement/AUP to suspend even the most blatant crooks, not to mention the burgeoning number of spammers who are exploiting the apparent 'domain for life' policy of HKDNR, no matter what fraudulent, spamming or abusive purposes the domain is used for.

I'm with you there. My question is, .hk domains never seem to resolve when reporting to SpamCop. Is that a problem with the way root DNS works for the .hk domain?

Of course, it could also be completely my imagination as I haven't done extensive testing :P

I'm with you there. My question is, .hk domains never seem to resolve when reporting to SpamCop. Is that a problem with the way root DNS works for the .hk domain?

The most recent rash of .hk spam websites I've seen are part of the classical Yambo operation; these guys have the means to refuse DNS lookups to their private auth name servers from known troublemakers (SpamCop, DNSStuff, Visa, etc.). The behavior I see with these new .hk sites is consistent with what I've seen for years from these guys. Here is a forum topic that goes into some more detail on this.

So, using Brother Occam's razor, I don't think there needs to be anything crooked about HK DNS root lookups.

(couple of minutes later...) I just did my own root-level dig on one of these domains, sssdo.hk, and found a bunch of the usual alphabet-soup auth name servers from one source, so this seems to be Yambo business as usual.

Results are below ... I got ns1.hkirc.net.hk from h.root-servers.net.

dig ns [at]ns1.hkirc.net.hk sssdo.hk

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> ns [at]ns1.hkirc.net.hk sssdo.hk
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 59181
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sssdo.hk.					  IN	  NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
sssdo.hk.			   28800   IN	  NS	  NS2.FONDNESSYUP.COM.
sssdo.hk.			   28800   IN	  NS	  NS2.VIGILUPANKA.COM.
sssdo.hk.			   28800   IN	  NS	  NS1.CLUVDITCH.COM.
sssdo.hk.			   28800   IN	  NS	  NS1.GODDTRAULISM.COM.

-- rick

Archived