[Resolved] Spam from My Email Address but Not From Me

MadeInRacine

Okay, so for about a week, I've been getting 100 or so email every few days. These email are rejected notices, bounced email, spam blockers, etc. They are sending spam "back" to me. I, of course, did not send them out. They are coming from someone outside, using my email. All the bounces and rejections come back to me because it's my email.

I use Outlook 2000. All my email accounts are protected with "This account requires verification".

Is there a place I report these email to, to hit the folks using my address to send spam?

The header looks like this:

Received: from ttnet.net.tr ([85.104.176.183]) by sstree.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);

Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:51:09 -0500

Message-ID: <000801c7b363$9b29a380$0a01a8c0[at]executivedirector>

Reply-To: "Gene Bierman" <MyEmail :angry:>

TO: <Random Email :ph34r: >

Subject: Deportment it was in the

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:17:20 +0700

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="----=_NextPart_001_000D_01C7B363.9B29A380"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1158

Return-Path: MyEmail :angry:

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 20 Jun 2007 17:51:09.0718 (UTC) FILETIME=[95A63360:01C7B363]

Okay, so for about a week, I've been getting 100 or so email every few days. These email are rejected notices, bounced email, spam blockers, etc.

As you said, you are receiving these because your e-mail address was forged into a spam campaign. SpamCop allows you to report misdirected bounces as you would any other spam mail, just paste them into the box (or boxes, if you have to use separate ones for header and body).

This report, of course, will go back to the ISP that sent the bounce, and not to the spammer who used your e-mail address (or his providers). This isn't quite the same as what you asked for. However, it is useful to report misdirected bounces back to ISPs in the hopes that they start rejecting mail on presentation (as they are "supposed to do"), rather than accepting it and then bouncing it later.

Although you might find bits (or all) of the original spam message in the bounces, you can't report these via SpamCop because they aren't "your" spam (and also may not be accurately reproduced in the bounce). You are, of course, free to act on your own on any info you can dig out of the message as to the identity of the spammer.

-- rick

Okay, so for about a week, I've been getting 100 or so email every few days. These email are rejected notices, bounced email, spam blockers, etc. They are sending spam "back" to me. I, of course, did not send them out.

<snip>

Hi! Welcome to the SpamCop Forum.
  • You originally entitled your post as "Replying to spam from My Email Address but Not From Me." "spam" is a trademark of Hormel Corporation, so please do not use it here to refer to unsolicited e-mail (spam). Please see spam and the Internet, especially the third paragraph. Thanks! I shall change the topic title accordingly.
  • Understandable that you did not find it but just to let you know, your question is covered by SpamCop FAQ (see link near top left of page) entry labeled "Why am I getting all these bounces? Updated!" Therefore, and because Rick Conner also provided the answer, I shall mark this forum thread as "Resolved."

Archived