Forged Headers

Hi, Another.com!

Miss Betsy,

Just in case you have not got it yet (which you seem to be incapable of understanding), we (that is another.com) can do absolutely nothing to stop people forging headers with our IP address in. It is 100% outside of our control.

Hope you are able to take this simple concept on board.

Regards

Peter

<snip>

Look at the poor grandmothers who are searched at airports because of terrorists.  If I thought about all the ways that I am inconvenienced and can't do what I would like to do or have to add umpteen actions in order to do something because of the safeguards, etc. that have been put into place against unscrupulous people, I would be a very grumpy person. 

<snip>

...If I'm reading correctly, you owe Miss Betsy an apology. Seems to me that this quote from her shows that she was perfectly capable of understanding. :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can do nothing about other people forging your headers.

However, spamcop *can* do something about the people who forge your headers. At the present moment, the only thing that is effective against spammers are blocklists.

So, do you complain about the fact that *doing* something about spammers is inconvenient to you (as is the fact that I have to show my id every time I want to cash a check and a picture id to board an airplane and lock my doors, etc. because there are criminals out there)?

Or do you, perhaps even muttering imprecations against the spammers, email spamcop again whenever it happens.

IMHO, being on the proactive side against criminals who forge your headers is worth a little inconvenience.

Or perhaps, I am misunderstanding your posts. Since you say that spamcop does correct the problem efficiently, perhaps your posts are supporting spamcop and the wonderful job it does.

If so, I am sorry that I interpreted them as comments on the inconvenience to you.

Miss Betsy

<snip>

Or perhaps, I am misunderstanding your posts.  Since you say that spamcop does correct the problem efficiently, perhaps your posts are supporting spamcop and the wonderful job it does.

If so, I am sorry that I interpreted them as comments on the inconvenience to you.

<snip>

...If you misunderstood, I can understand why (maybe it's just you and me, though), in light of:

<snip>

I wonder what others on this BB would say was a reasonable amount of time for Spamcop to fix this and adjust their system so it wasn't fooled?

:blink::) <g>

...Oh, and my answer to Another.com's question is: it depends on Julian's evaluation of how important it is and how much time it takes him to fix it, IIUC something over which none of the rest of us in this forum have any direct control. :) <g>

I have a healthy respect for Spamcops programming abilities. I dont think I should have to spend my time checking that their system is working properly and dealing with the fallout when it isnt. They are very influential and their influence has cost me several thousand pounds in lost customers and customer support costs. I'm very happy that they have sorted the problem and that they are responsive to my correspondance and will support them as far as I can. I am thankful that they are not as judgemental as some who post on these boards. There are other ways of dealing with spam, which we use, but each to their own.

There are other ways of dealing with spam, which we use, but each to their own

Do your other ways of dealing with spam affect the spammer in any way?

Do your other ways of dealing with spam notify the *sender* when the spammer infiltrates (or forges) a network?

Do your other ways of dealing with spam make the *sender* responsible for controlling spam? JHD does absolutely nothing to make the sender of spam responsible.

I am thankful that they are not as judgemental as some who post on these boards.

If the shoe fits, wear it. If your problem was being fixed by spamcop deputies, then why did you post? To state a judgment about blocklists. Debates about how spam can be controlled are profitable. Prejudice against one way is not.

...has cost me several thousand pounds in lost customers and customer support costs.

What happens when a backhoe disrupts your email service? If you had promoted education about spam before this happened and provided a back up plan, then maybe your customers would understand. Offline merchants have to deal with problems very similar to this all the time. What makes online merchants exempt?

Some people think that email as a means of communication is dead because of the spam problem. That ought to give online merchants pause and to consider that perhaps other ways of controlling spam ought to be considered.

Miss Betsy

The spammer that is doing the joe-job on another.com also did a joe-job on another company.

As a result, it appears that the I.P. address that one of the spamvertized web sites were on no longer has a route. The spammer does not appear to realize that yet.

The full clean-up has not yet been done as the domain registrations are still showing as valid.

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL14575

Good hunting to the Another.com legal team. With the evidence that Another.com should have by now, they should be able to get at a minimum the domain registrations controlled by the spammers revoked. Do not forget the name servers.

-John

Personal Opinion Only

Archived