Should be easy to filter. Can't figure how.

mholloway

I've been getting a ton of crap, obviously from the same sender, that isn't caught by any of the Spamcop provided blocklists. Its random word spam, clearly just an annoyance, but each starts with two random words followed by a question mark. I thought that there'd have to be a way of filtering this, but can't do it on Spamcop. Maybe Procmail? I'd need a wildcard that would be limited to one word of variable characters.

Thing is, why is this being generated? I've been getting them for some time, and they seem to be increasing. Why target with an annoyance that has an obvious filter hook? Because he thinks I won't be able to figure it out?

I've been getting a ton of crap, obviously from the same sender, that isn't caught by any of the Spamcop provided blocklists. Its random word spam, clearly just an annoyance, but each starts with two random words followed by a question mark. I thought that there'd have to be a way of filtering this, but can't do it on Spamcop. Maybe Procmail? I'd need a wildcard that would be limited to one word of variable characters.
As you may have deduced, SpamCop isn't really a "user configurable" filter on which you can hang your own arbitrary rules. That said, if you own a spamcop.net account, you may be able to cobble something together in the SpamCop webmail app (i.e., have something diverted to a junk folder if its picked up by a regular expression). I have not looked at the capabilities of the webmail app in some time.

Thing is, why is this being generated? I've been getting them for some time, and they seem to be increasing. Why target with an annoyance that has an obvious filter hook? Because he thinks I won't be able to figure it out?
Hard to say, the sender may not realize that he is being "obvious." These guys are not always as clueful as we give them credit for being. If there are no URLs or sales info in the message, it could be a DHA probe of some sort.

-- rick

Archived