Favorite/Best Hosting providers?

btech

I'm looking to change to a new host for my sites and I wondered what you all thought of the various companies out there.

I'm looking for 100gb storage, 100+gb bandwidth and UNIX. I also would prefer a host that has a high transfer rate; my current host is great with that and it's really needed for the files I host.

So far, my favs are:

1. Host Gator
  2. DreamHost

Anyone have a host they like that will match what I'm looking for?

Thx!

So far, my favs are:
  1. Host Gator
  2. DreamHost

Anyone have a host they like that will match what I'm looking for?

I have used DreamHost (for my blog) for a few months, they seem like nice people and everything has worked well so far. I like the automatic installs for things like WordPress, they save a lot of time.

For 10+years, I also used Illuminati Online (io.com), but they are now owned by PrismNet. They have also done a reasonable job, they have a very good Unix shell, but they are not as geared to small site hosting as other outfits like those you mentioned. I tried to get a blog started there but found that they were using a fairly elderly MySQL, and I had to wait a few days for an upgrade.

I vaguely recalled someone on this forum whining about HostGator's hat color, and a forum search revealed that the whiner was ... ME! I posted on my experiences trying to get them to deal with a GRQ spammer. The encounter wasn't a fruitful one, but it was nearly a year ago, so perhaps they have wised up a bit.

-- rick

hmmm. Well, I can kinda say the same about my host now... there was an instance where the DNS server was hacked and they tried to pin the blame on a Wordpress installation I had. The problem there is that it wasn't limited to php sites, it affected the html site on my account too.

I think the support experience will vary from person to person, but overall, the reviews I've read from people on H.G. is positive. DreamHost is my #2, because I believe they're a reseller from H.G.... everything is identical, except H.G. offers more space and bandwidth.

I'm open to more feedback!!

Archived