ISP Blacklisted? Client bouncing? Some mail get blocked/bounced others don't.

neles

Hello guys,

I came here hoping that the experts could help me.

The last few days I've received some bouncing mails.

The weird thing is that it is limited to some mail addresses. I can sent mail to most people without a problem, but some mails get bounced back. This is very weird and annoying.

I called my ISP since the mails that have been bounced and my quick research suggest that it's my ISP's server that is blocked. They asked me to sent the same mail trough the webmail client, and that succeeded. So they closed the case, as it wasn't related to their network. If it would be the case that their mail server(s) is/are blocked wouldn't that cause all mail to be bounced back ?

To help you guys sort the problem here are some details:

ISP: UPC

e-mail client: Mozilla Thunderbird

Bounced mail:

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.

The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why

each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <recipient>

Reason: Service unavailable; Client host [fep22.mx.upcmail.net] blocked by bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?62.179.121.42

Please reply to <Postmaster[at]chello.at>

if you feel this message to be in error.

Hopefully i provided you guys with enough detail to help me sort this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, neles,

...Sorry to hear of your problem.

...Did you click on the link [and then on the link labeled "Information about the reasons for listing [blocking] your mail server (62.179.121.42)" on the page that is returned] that you were so kind as to include for us (http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?62.179.121.42)? I think that will answer a fair number of your questions. A quick glance at the "SenderBase (another link on the "Information about the reasons for listing ... your mail server" page) information seems to point to an e-mail provider. Do you recognize the name upcmail.net (which is also in the message itself that you provided as the address of the machine that is being blocked)?

Hi, neles,

...Sorry to hear of your problem.

...Did you click on the link [and then on the link labeled "Information about the reasons for listing [blocking] your mail server (62.179.121.42)" on the page that is returned] that you were so kind as to include for us (http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?62.179.121.42)? I think that will answer a fair number of your questions. A quick glance at the "SenderBase (another link on the "Information about the reasons for listing ... your mail server" page) information seems to point to an e-mail provider. Do you recognize the name upcmail.net (which is also in the message itself that you provided as the address of the machine that is being blocked)?

I did check that link. The link suggests that the problem lies at my ISP. But the thing that is confusing me the most is that my client (Thunderbird) rejects the mail and webmail doesn't ? Now is my ISP fairly big and it does has multiple mail servers. But everyone i use in thunderbird = bounced, and from webmail so far none have been bounced.

The host upcmail.net is from my ISP. That is no stranger for me.

Maybe i'm missing something?

I did check that link. The link suggests that the problem lies at my ISP. But the thing that is confusing me the most is that my client (Thunderbird) rejects the mail and webmail doesn't ? Now is my ISP fairly big and it does has multiple mail servers. But everyone i use in thunderbird = bounced, and from webmail so far none have been bounced.

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&...p=62.179.121.42

The reality is the ISP's email server you use has a spam sending problem!

Reputation score is nothing (should be green and in 90's)

https://www.senderscore.org/lookup.php?look...p;ipLookup.y=11

You need to use a Gmail or Hotmail's SMTP (SEND) to reliably send email

http://email.about.com/od/accessinggmail/f...TP_Settings.htm

<snip>

I did check that link. The link suggests that the problem lies at my ISP.

<snip>

...Then, yes, it's your ISP that is the problem. But, then, through what IP address does the e-mail you send via webmail go -- not fep22.mx.upcmail.net? You may not be able to answer that but perhaps this: what webmail service do you use?
But the thing that is confusing me the most is that my client (Thunderbird) rejects the mail and webmail doesn't ? Now is my ISP fairly big and it does has multiple mail servers. But everyone i use in thunderbird = bounced, and from webmail so far none have been bounced.

<snip>

...Could be that you're on the right track, here ... once we know what webmail service you use, that could help us come to a more determinative answer.
<snip>

You need to use a Gmail or Hotmail's SMTP (SEND) to reliably send email

<snip>

...Or just use your webmail, since that doesn't seem to bounce.

Hi neles,

The first thing you need to realise is that it is not your client (Thunderbird) thast is doing the rejection. The rejection is happening on the receiving end. The mail you send from TB goes out through your ISP's SMTP server (or, in this case, one of them as your ISP has many). Also coming from that SMTP is a lot of spam because your ISP either doesn't have a clue or doesn';t give a sh**. This means that SOME recipients will refuse it if they are using the SCBL in blocking mode (not recommended!). Webmail is obviously going out through a different, unlisted server. You would be very unlucky if every recipient you tried to send mail to was using SCBL in blocking mode. BTW that listing, at the time of writing, has dropped off the SCBL.

Suggest you spend your euros with an ISP that does have a clue and does give a sh**.

... Also coming from that SMTP is a lot of spam because your ISP either doesn't have a clue or doesn';t give a sh**.

Suggest you spend your euros with an ISP that does have a clue and does give a sh**.

Pure bunk!

It is SpamCop and other incompetent and useless idiots doing the same incompetent job of identifying spammers that is to blame. You don't go ahead and block a whole IP address just because of one bad user, and in doing so ruin the lives and businesses of dozens or possibly hundreds of legitimate users. THAT is just plain 'F'in stupid.

SpamCop should be doing a better job of identifying the real abuser and working with the ISPs to put a stop to this. Until they, and others like them, change their attitude, it's not going to get any better.

They aren't even touching the real spammers for Pete's sake!

WCoyote,

...You are welcome to post to these Forums and even offer opinions that are going to be contrary to those of most of our members but it would be most appreciated if you would learn more about what SpamCop is and what it does and does not do and try to limit what you write to avoid expressing opinion as if it were fact.

...Others who wish to learn more about what WCoyote is posting are encouraged to review replies posted elsewhere, such as my reply in topic "Lot of mails in my ISP´s email."

Archived