Report of blackmail spam sent but now what?

Nameless

Yesterday, I reported a spam message  I received that included blackmail. I.e. I was asked to supply money to a bitcoin address to prevent information on my "sexual preferences" being sent to my friends, etc. I'm not worried about the threat because these "preferences" are news to me and nothing (that's real) exists that could cause me any embarrassment, but I found this annoying enough to find spamcop and want to fight back. 

I've sent a report but I'm afraid a lot of the terminology used here is too advanced for my limited computer knowledge, so please forgive my 'idiot' questions. I tried some help pages that brought up captions saying the pages no longer exist! I have a report ID and it seems details have been sent to: abuse@hostingperte.it but use of my tracking URL causes me to see  the words "Reports regarding this spam have already been sent". Does this mean that the administrator of the network where the email originates has received other reports of exactly the same spam, as well as receiving my report?

Should I expect to hear anything else about this in response? If not, is there any way that I can discover whether any action has been taken? In view of the blackmail element, it would be nice to think that there could potentially be serious consequences for the perpetrator but I suppose that's a lot to hope for?

I'd be very grateful for any reply that helps clarify these points!

1.  When you receive a credible threat of blackmail you should contact your local law enforcement.

As for your submission to SpamCop, by providing the Tracking URL here the rest of us could see the results and be in a better position to explain the results.

After you compete the processing of a submitted spam and then go back to the report using the Tracking URL, the screen will state that your reports have already been sent.

" I tried some help pages "  The software used for the forum was updated/change sometime ago, and during the database conversion, many of the help pages/links to help pages were broken.

" I have a report ID "  The report ID a number, in a reference to the specific report and is useful only to you and SpamCop. 

" use of my tracking URL "  When you, or anyone else, follows the Tracking URL they can see 1) the original spam (which has been scrubbed so we can not see your email address), 2) the steps taken by the parser to identify where to send the Spam Report, and 3) What actions were taken. 

When you first submit a spam for processing, you will see 1) and 2) above followed by where reports will be send when you click <Send Reports>

When you go back using the Tracking URL, you will see 1) & 2) followed by what was done.  Sometimes much later, if the tables of abuse addresses has been updated the parser will report " If reported today, reports would be sent to: "  to reflect the updated data.

"Should I expect to hear anything else about this in response? " No.  The only thing SpamCop does is, based on their rules, add the senders IP address to the SC block list (SCBL).  Depending on how many reports SC receives the IP address may be on the SCBL for 12 hrs or longer.  You can go to https://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=map  check the reputation of the IP address and if it is currently on any block list.

" it would be nice to think that there could potentially be serious consequences "  SpamCop does not have any authority to do anything except maintain their SCBL.  That is why you should contact your local authorities.

Welcome to the spam fight. 

2 hours ago, Nameless said:

Yesterday, I reported a spam message  I received that included blackmail. I.e. I was asked to supply money to a bitcoin address to prevent information on my "sexual preferences" being sent to my friends, etc. I'm not worried about the threat because these "preferences" are news to me and nothing (that's real) exists that could cause me any embarrassment, but I found this annoying enough to find spamcop and want to fight back. 

I've sent a report but I'm afraid a lot of the terminology used here is too advanced for my limited computer knowledge, so please forgive my 'idiot' questions. I tried some help pages that brought up captions saying the pages no longer exist! I have a report ID and it seems details have been sent to: abuse@hostingperte.it but use of my tracking URL causes me to see  the words "Reports regarding this spam have already been sent". Does this mean that the administrator of the network where the email originates has received other reports of exactly the same spam, as well as receiving my report?

Should I expect to hear anything else about this in response? If not, is there any way that I can discover whether any action has been taken? In view of the blackmail element, it would be nice to think that there could potentially be serious consequences for the perpetrator but I suppose that's a lot to hope for?

I'd be very grateful for any reply that helps clarify these points!

It's a phishing scam I have got these on occasions.

Make sure you have a WORKING malware/virus program going. Windows defender is a good one, Run a scan. Most Network operators are brainless, if you sent a SpamCop tracking URL you might get better advice

Edited by petzl

• 4 years later...

Wow, that's really messed up! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. It sounds like you're handling it really well, though. I'm sure whoever sent that message is just trying to scam people, and they don't actually have anything on you. So don't worry about it too much. Just be careful in the future, and maybe consider using a different email address for important things. If you are concerned about such types of emails, you can contact the experts from {Link deleted by Moderator} to deal with such problems. Thanks for reporting it, too! We need to make sure that people know this kind of thing is going on so that they can be more aware and hopefully avoid it.

16 hours ago, bouarfalisted said:

Wow, that's really messed up! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. It sounds like you're handling it really well, though. I'm sure whoever sent that message is just trying to scam people, and they don't actually have anything on you. So don't worry about it too much. Just be careful in the future, and maybe consider using a different email address for important things. If you are concerned about such types of emails, you can contact the experts from digital forensics [link removed]   to deal with such problems. Thanks for reporting it, too! We need to make sure that people know this kind of thing is going on so that they can be more aware and hopefully avoid it.

hate to ask: is this a "shameless plug"?
you noticed that this thread had been inactive for over 4 years?