remove unreportable reports

PHANTOm

The "too old" portion of your suggestion is a good one. I'm sure that's already on the suggestion list. I don't see why the reporting system can't go through all of the emails queued for reporting every so often when it's CPU utilization is low, deleting each email for which the date in the topmost Received Header Line is more than exactly 48 hours old and leaving some evidence, like "This system has automatically removed 5 emails that were definitely too old to report. Please try to stay more current." This would provide for a better user experience. Of course, you could still be left with those emails that languished on a trusted system, and I don't approve of the change disallowing the reporting of them.

Pre-parsing to filter out "nothing to report" is a good idea, but I'm not sure it's practical, as time and specific conditions factor into the decision as to whether or not there is anything to report.

• 2 months later...

...The only concern I have with the suggestion is that some people might be building a database of spam they receive and so would like to still have unreportable spam stick around until they can load the relevant information into their databases.

Archived