Report Ends With "Parsing Header:"

nh905

3 hours ago, nh905 said:

How do we get this issue escalated to someone at SpamCop.net who can get the parser updated? 

Would help if you could show a "Tracking URL" when you parse and before submitting there id a link at top of page
Copy and past that link

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following the tracking URL reveals my email address, and I get enough spam,.  Many people have already provided tracking URLs related to this problem .  The header record that appears to cause the problem is:

Received: from localhost (127.0.0.1) by .yu57f1N5JknNfW@expressdeal.world id YnC0jEIIBD7P for <x>; Sun, 08 Sep 2019 00:07:39 +0100 (envelope-from <contact@expressdeal.world>)

Pasting the headers with the dot/period removed along with body text into SpamCop allows parsing to complete successfully.

Regards, Norbert

On 9/8/2019 at 4:09 PM, petzl said:

Seems to be from a network, SpamCop can't parse network email

@petzl, several people have reported the same problem.  The 'solution' is to remove mailhosts support or drop the dot/period in front of .yu57f1N5JknNfW@expressdeal.world.  I currently use fetchmail to pull mail in my spam folder and then forward it to Spamcop.  I tried writing an awk scri_pt to remove the dot/period but that causes multiple mail messages to be concatenated into one.  There appears to be a way to force an end-of-stream conditions between mail files  but I do not have the cycles to investigate further.

Regards, Norbert

On 9/8/2019 at 12:58 PM, nh905 said:

Received: from localhost (127.0.0.1) by .yu57f1N5JknNfW@expressdeal.world id YnC0jEIIBD7P for <x>; Sun, 08 Sep 2019 00:07:39 +0100 (envelope-from <contact@expressdeal.world>)

I see a dot at the beginning of the domain at right after the "by".

On 9/12/2019 at 1:32 AM, nh905 said:

@petzl, several people have reported the same problem.  The 'solution' is to remove mailhosts support or drop the dot/period in front of .yu57f1N5JknNfW@expressdeal.world.  I currently use fetchmail to pull mail in my spam folder and then forward it to Spamcop.  I tried writing an awk scri_pt to remove the dot/period but that causes multiple mail messages to be concatenated into one.  There appears to be a way to force an end-of-stream conditions between mail files  but I do not have the cycles to investigate further.

Regards, Norbert

I agree. There is now enough information in the form of positive and negative examples for Spamcop to fix this. The fix probably involves some backslash in a regexp or something like that. Is there anything we can do to speed it up (or fix it)?

Yes, the hostname in the Received header is clearly invalid, but given the parser's job, it really needs to not stop working when there's something invalid in a part of the headers that spammers control.

This has been broken since at least April. If it's not at least on some internal to-do list by now, I would submit that there's something wrong with the process here.

• 2 weeks later...