how to request details on the specific complaint

o.ukraintsev

hello.

I'm a system administrator at a hosting providers, and my job includes processing abuse reports. we have received a summary report on one of our IPs and, due to our policy, suspended the VPS. now our client wants details on that report (for instance, e-mail headers). could we request them somewhere from SpamCop?

Just to be clear, I am a volunteer and do not officially speak for SpamCop.

The spam report you received does contain a copy of the offending email (most likely with the destination address obscured). As you can understand some who report spam would not want their email address given to the "spammer" in fear of confirmation that someone looks at spam sent to the address, or fear of retaliation.

the spam report was sent to you as administrator, as a tool for your use. To me it would seem your response to a single report, vs a pattern of reports, a bit harsh. If this was a single report for this client it would provide an opportunity to discuss with the client proper double-opt-in email list.

Of course I an not suggesting how you should run your business. I am suggesting how to use data provided by SpamCop. The SpamCop Block List, which is the primary purpose of SpamCop, is based of several, relative current, spam reports NOT a single report. For details see What is the SpamCop Blocking List (SCBL)? scroll down to "SCBL Rules'

21 hours ago, o.ukraintsev said:

we have received a summary report on one of our IPs

I am a volunteer too.  You mentioned a summary report and ARF format.  If I remember correctly those came from the "ISP Control Center" account as an hourly or daily email as "Third party interested in daily aggregate summary reports".

19 hours ago, Lking said:

The spam report you received does contain a copy of the offending email (most likely with the destination address obscured).

There would have been a separate email that Lking is talking about that contain a link to the spam.  This email would have been sent to abuse address as defined in your local internet registry's whois service.