Disable full processing if email too old

studog

If an email is too old to report, there's still a lot of processing that goes on. I have to assume this is so one can use the info to manually report spam if you're so inclined. I am not.

I would like to see an option in the preferences that disables any further processing if an email is too old. I'll be so bold as to suggest that having it turned on should be the default.

This should save SpamCop a huge amount of system resources by avoiding useless processing. This will save me time, as I won't have to wait for the spam to process (which as we know can take a long time if there are spammer tricks involved) before finding out it's too old.

I think the majority of people don't bother to manually report spam if it's too old according to SpamCop. Having it on by default will catch all of those, maximising the resource savings. The downside is the number of complaints generated from the people who do use the info to manually report until they change their preferences.

Thoughts?

...Stu

The problem with your proposal is that it is based on the premise that the "too old" decision happens before any processing, whereas in fact most of the header processing has to take place before the Parser can pinpoint the lowest/oldest trusted Received Header Line's date/time and compare that to now. Now, if the date/time of the topmost Received Header Line's date/time was used again, that would make your proposal much more attractive, although I waould prefer to see it as a "Parse it anyway for manual reporting" feature, that would either be an option that defaulted off or would be a link or button.

I've been waiting for this...

The problem with your proposal is that it is based on the premise that the "too old" decision happens before any processing,
No, it's not. I am aware that some processing must happen first in order to determine the "too old" status. Some of that processing could be deferred; DNS lookups frex. Some processing happens after, specifically all the URL processing on the body of the message.

although I waould prefer to see it as a "Parse it anyway for manual reporting" feature, that would either be an option that defaulted off or would be a link or button.

30039[/snapback]

I suggested that in the OP.

...Stu

Archived