Handspring Blazer webmail access

I'm pretty sure I have everything set up correctly. I can access webmail, and held mail, from my desktop browser. I successfully get my email via POP from both my mail client and www.mail2web.com. What I'd really like to do is get my email via my Handspring (Palm) Blazer browser via webmail.spamcop.net.

Every time I try, I get a page telling me that my session has timed out. This is odd because the Blazer browser is pretty high-featured.

Has anybody else gotten this to work? If not, can I add it as a feature request?

just a minor detail, but you didn't say .... can you hit other web items with the Handspring? Does the "fully featured" suggest you have no problems hitting a 'normal' web page or is it looking for some special scripting to match the screen characteristics?

I'm pretty sure I have everything set up correctly.  I can access webmail, and held mail, from my desktop browser.  I successfully get my email via POP from both my mail client and www.mail2web.com.  What I'd really like to do is get my email via my Handspring (Palm) Blazer browser via webmail.spamcop.net. 

Every time I try, I get a page telling me that my session has timed out.  This is odd because the Blazer browser is pretty high-featured.

Has anybody else gotten this to work?  If not, can I add it as a feature request?

It sounds like cookies aren't working. You'll need to make sure that the Blazer supports session cookies and that you aren't blocking them or something.

JT

Pleading total ignorance of the specifics, I'll ask the obvious silly one .. is the "Mobile Mail" an option from your home computer connection .. and if so, do you get the same 404?

No, "Mobile Mail" is not an option from my home computer connection.

I do notice that my last login details when I just looked were "Last login: Tue 09 Mar 2004 04:42:53 EST from blazer-fetch.handspring.com" - it looks as if the web browser in the handspring is going through some kind of proxy.

then you may be in the same boat, the proxy may not be passing all the required handshaking, per JT's remarks to the other poster, cookies may be another issue, such that a session can't be negotiated. Admit, I'm only guessing here.

then you may be in the same boat, the proxy may not be passing all the required handshaking, per JT's remarks to the other poster, cookies may be another issue, such that a session can't be negotiated.  Admit, I'm only guessing here.

No, the problem is that there's an alpha-quality project in Horde for a stripped-down IMP for mobile clients. Unfortunately, the Horde system attempts to auto-detect if you're using a mobile browser and forces you to use the MIMP (which we don't have installed) if you're using a mobile browser.

I'm still working on exactly how to change this in the "correct" way. I could just strip out the code, but then that becomes yet another change I need to make when we upgrade IMP.

JT

What I'd really like to do is get my email via my Handspring (Palm) Blazer browser via webmail.spamcop.net. 

Every time I try, I get a page telling me that my session has timed out.  This is odd because the Blazer browser is pretty high-featured.

Has anybody else gotten this to work?

Yes, webmail works for me with Blazer on a Treo 600 via Sprint. Accept Cookies is checked under advanced preferences. I do get the timeout when trying to access Held Mail but that happens with my desktop browser (Safari) too.

Note the SpamCop pages are not PDA-friendly but can be navigated although some links do not seem to work. In general I'd say the SpamCop interface needs work, not just for PDAs although if it works for them it will work for anything.

• 2 years later...

Has there been any update on the connections via Treo (Verizon is my carrier, and I have a Treo 700w). I noticed that the last post in this thread was from 2004 ... so I'm hoping there's something new.

At home I've used Outlook for my mail. I've had Spamcop for years, and I absolutely love the filtering capabilities.

I've set my spamcop account to "poll" my various email accounts with my ISP (Adelphia).

On my home desktop, I use Outlook polls my incoming mail from mail.spamcop.net ... and I send my outgoing mail through mail.adelphia.net. I have advanced settings us separate login to outgoing mail, and "leave a copy on the server until it's deleted from the Deleted Items folder" ... this lets me use web access when I'm on the road to read and answer my mail through http://webmail.spamcop.net

A week ago I changed mobile phone carriers ... to Verizon ... and got my first "smartphone" ... a Treo 700w (with the "Windows Mobile 5.0 Phone Edition 2005" OS).

From what I've been reading in the forums, I believe I need to set my Treo to get incoming mail from

pop.spamcop.net

Can I still send my outgoing mail through mail.adelphia.net? or do I need to make sure I send my mail through spamcop as well?

Thanks for the assist.

From what I've been reading in the forums, I believe I need to set my Treo to get incoming mail from

pop.spamcop.net

Can I still send my outgoing mail through mail.adelphia.net? or do I need to make sure I send my mail through spamcop as well?

I am not a portable user, but spamcop does NOT have an available SMTP server to use. You may need to use adelphia.net OR verizon may request/require you to use their SMTP server address for sending...check with them.

You may also want to investigate using imap.spamcop.net if your device supports that. That would leave all the data on the server and not require as much downloading bandwidth.

I am not a portable user, but spamcop does NOT have an available SMTP server to use. You may need to use adelphia.net OR verizon may request/require you to use their SMTP server address for sending...check with them.

You may also want to investigate using imap.spamcop.net if your device supports that. That would leave all the data on the server and not require as much downloading bandwidth.

Thanks, Steven ... I'll check that out. I plan on visiting the Verison office tomorrow while I'm running errands to see if thay have any tweeks I haven't discovered yet. I especially like your suggestion to use the imap.spamcop.net ... in order to leave the data on the server.

Thanks for the quick response, too. B)

Archived