Fed Up with Self-Righteous Email-Blacklisters

fedup2

This is a place for myself and others to express our anger, disgust, outrage, and just plain exhaustion at the many self-righteous, self-appointed EMAIL-BLACKLISTING outfits proliferating on the internet.

We recently closed one ISP account (because they were doing stealth spam-blocking without even telling their customers) and opened a new account with a different ISP. Imagine how horrified and angry we were to discover that our very first emails, sent out to some online auction winners, were somehow, for reasons unknown, considered "spam" and were "quarantined" rather than arriving at their designated receivers' in-box. Not only that, but once we figured out, by going into Webmail (something we detest and rarely use, preferring instead our own software and POP3 email services), that our outgoing emails, with cc's back to us, had been stuck in this Quarantine Limbo, we saw something called "REPORT THIS EMAIL AS LEGITIMATE MAIL" which we clicked on, thinking this would notify our ISP *not* to block our email. Instead of this occuring, the stupid and arrogant software/spam-system SENT OUR PRIVATE EMAIL OUT TO SOME spam-COPPING SYSTEM IN CANADA, complete with all our private info that had been directed to our auction winners!!!!

It has now been many weeks, and we are STILL HAVING PROBLEMS with our auction winners NOT receiving our emails. We have no idea what the problem is, and we have called our ISP at least 5 or 6 times, to no avail. They are claiming that it is NOT their spam-filtering software that is the problem. However, when we check the IP numbers on our own outgoing emails, we find that something called NJARBL or something has listed that range of IP numbers as "open" relays, or something, which has apparently given those arrogant jerks the "right" to block our legit email!???

We are FED UP with the arrogant, self-righteous attitude that prevails with all you so-called spam-Cops. You are no better than the jerks running the U.S. government at this time, who are considering EVERYONE IN AMERICA as a potential terrorist, and stripping us of our civil liberties!

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? You have no right to be intercepting our emails and blocking us from reaching our legitimae recipients. We have FREEDOM OF SPEECH (AND PRESS) IN THE U.S.! YOU ARE INTERFERING WITH OUR CIVIL RIGHTS.

You need to find a better way to weed out REAL spam mail and stop blocking us legitimate emailers.

This thread is to ventilate my anger and invite others who are p*ssed off to do the same.

Thanks.

PS Please do not bother to LECTURE or PONTIFICATE about (1) you need to find a better ISP or (2) you need to stop using CAPS. You guys with knee-jerk responses to CAPS need to grow up and learn that CAPS mean, (1) the person typing is P*SSED and wants you to know it, and/or (2) the typist has a vision problem. DEAL WITH IT.

PS Please do not bother to LECTURE or PONTIFICATE about (1) you need to find a better ISP

42055[/snapback]

Well, your ISP either isn't bothered about your problem or doesn't have the technical expertise to identify what is going on, so do you really think staying with them is a good idea? Furthermore nothing in your post seems to have any relevance to SpamCop or its blocklist so why bother posting here?

If your server is listed by the Not Just Another Bogus List blocklist (which covers open relays and known spam proxies) then it is very likely due to insecure (or incompetent) configuration by the admins, allowing it to be hijacked by spammers - your complaint should therefore be addressed to them.

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? You have no right to be intercepting our emails and blocking us from reaching our legitimae recipients. We have FREEDOM OF SPEECH (AND PRESS) IN THE U.S.! YOU ARE INTERFERING WITH OUR CIVIL RIGHTS.

You need to find a better way to weed out REAL spam mail and stop blocking us legitimate emailers.

We (tinw - there is no we) are people who think that those who use the internet should abide by netiquette, know about the technology they use (so that there are no open relays), and act responsibly in the use of email.

There is nothing 'unmannerly' about refusing to receive email from sources that are not compentent or responsible (or for changing ISPs if they don't provide us with good service). There are butlers and answering machines offline that perform the same service for us.

ISPs who do not inform their customers of the methods they use to filter incoming mail are at fault. ISPs who do not provide email service that is received by other ISPs filtering for open relays and spam are also at fault. Customers should complain and change services. If you prefer to receive all your mail (and many businesses do) and then use your own filtering methods to retrieve legitimate email, that's your business. (Although it is not as efficient as using blocking at the server with blocklists where correspondents are informed that their email has not been received because of problems with their service such as open relays. That way, the sender can find an alternative method of sending the message. And there are email services on the internet that are proactive against spammers and technologically competent so that they are not listed on blocklists.

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SEND ME EMAIL THAT I DO NOT WANT AND I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO REFUSE TO ACCEPT EMAIL FROM YOU IF IT ALSO MEANS RECEIVING spam BECAUSE YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE THE INTERNET.

Miss Betsy

This is a typical munchkinpoop that doesn't take the time to understand what is happening to his e-mail, or what spamming is about, comes here to scream and leaves never to come back. He may or may not have a hearing problem, but he/she sure does have a comprehension problem.

This is a place for myself and others to express our anger, disgust, outrage, and just plain exhaustion at the many self-righteous, self-appointed EMAIL-BLACKLISTING outfits proliferating on the internet.

42055[/snapback]

No, the place for this thread is the Lounge and a moderator will likely move it there shortly.

This forum is for people looking for help, which you do not apprear to want. If you do want specifics about why you are listed on one/many blacklists, please provide an error message or bounce message you are receiving or provide the IP you believe is listed.

Unfortunately, the only way to responsibly protect an email account these days is to employ blocklists to eliminate email from known spammers and other likely sources of spam. Using blocklists properly notifys the sender that their system has a problem that needs to be addressed.

The best bet for a company is to get your own IP and run your own email system so you control the messages coming from it and are not subject to the honesty of other parties. This would all be considered the cost of doing business.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH (AND PRESS) IN THE U.S.!  YOU ARE INTERFERING WITH OUR CIVIL RIGHTS.

Your free speech rights end at the boundary of my personal property, i.e. my mail servers. If I wanted, I could block anyone with an 'e' in their name. Other than calling me foolish, they would have no recourse. Blocklists allow us to ban the spammers and the ISP's that support them from delivering into our personal property. Its as simple as that.

BTW, Spamcop blocks over 90% of the spam coming to companies I administer. In the last 5 years, there have been few complaints of false positives. It does its job, saves the employees time and effort, and saves me from getting complaints about letting in too much spam.

Thank you SpamCop!

No, you guessed wrongly and didn't read the Forum descriptions at all apparently. You posted into a SpamCop Block List Help Forum .... but seemed to have posted a rant about some other BL ... this will be moved to the Lounge section, which was set up to hold "rants" .....

We recently closed one ISP account (because they were doing stealth spam-blocking without even telling their customers) and opened a new account with a different ISP. Imagine how horrified and angry we were to discover that our very first emails, sent out to some online auction winners, were somehow, for reasons unknown, considered "spam" and were "quarantined" rather than arriving at their designated receivers' in-box. Not only that, but once we figured out, by going into Webmail (something we detest and rarely use, preferring instead our own software and POP3 email services), that our outgoing emails, with cc's back to us, had been stuck in this Quarantine Limbo, we saw something called "REPORT THIS EMAIL AS LEGITIMATE MAIL" which we clicked on, thinking this would notify our ISP *not* to block our email. Instead of this occuring, the stupid and arrogant software/spam-system SENT OUR PRIVATE EMAIL OUT TO SOME spam-COPPING SYSTEM IN CANADA, complete with all our private info that had been directed to our auction winners!!!!

I actually find you description confusing. You start by talking about an ISP blocking e-mail (I think you meant incoming?) .. Then you move to a new ISP, at which your outgoing e-mail was "quarantined" .... but you then talk about "playing" with that e-mail via a web-mail interface, tagging something as "NOT spam" .... something here sounds more than a bit backwards ....?????

I have no idea on your "SOME spam-COPPING SYSTEM IN CANADA" .... nor why you'd post a rant "here" about that unidentified system.

It has now been many weeks, and we are STILL HAVING PROBLEMS with our auction winners NOT receiving our emails. We have no idea what the problem is, and we have called our ISP at least 5 or 6 times, to no avail. They are claiming that it is NOT their spam-filtering software that is the problem. However, when we check the IP numbers on our own outgoing emails, we find that something called NJARBL or something has listed that range of IP numbers as "open" relays, or something, which has apparently given those arrogant jerks the "right" to block our legit email!???

Assume you mean NJABL ... have you visited that site yet?

We are FED UP with the arrogant, self-righteous attitude that prevails with all you so-called spam-Cops.

Technically, there is only one SpamCop.net .... Due to a bit of cyber-theft, there are some issues with the garbage found on the .com and .org sites, but .. these have not been under SpamCop.net's control for a number of years.

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?  You have no right to be intercepting our emails and blocking us from reaching our legitimae recipients.

SpamCop.net has no means of intercepting your e-mail. Coincidentally, there is a FAQ entry provided ... Who appointed you the "cop" of the internet? Where do you get off?

We have FREEDOM OF SPEECH (AND PRESS) IN THE U.S.!  YOU ARE INTERFERING WITH OUR CIVIL RIGHTS.

This thread is to ventilate my anger and invite others who are p*ssed off to do the same.

42055[/snapback]

Vent all you want (in the appropriate place) .. but the reality of the issue is that if you don't know what you're talking about, you are wasting a lot of time and energy.

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?  You have no right to be intercepting our emails and blocking us from reaching our legitimae recipients. We have FREEDOM OF SPEECH (AND PRESS) IN THE U.S.!  YOU ARE INTERFERING WITH OUR CIVIL RIGHTS.

Actually, the first amendment does not apply to unsolicited email/spam and the people that have the most rights in the US are those on the receiving end of the email. If you spent 1/2 a minute researching the CAN-spam law, you'd know that, dunce.

If you're legit, then get bonded and verified by Verisign. Also, people get blocklisted because there are these snazzy things called spamtraps that catch spam and report it to the lists. If your IP is blasting out spam that's not supposed to go to that intended address/IP, then guess what, YOU'RE NOT LEGIT AND YOU ARE A SPAMMER.

There are many legit advertising and mail lists out there, but if you're put on a blocklist, it's because you're sending out sh** you shouldn't be and it's hitting spam traps.

Maybe do a lil more research, before you come here and flame the system to stop spammers. Oh wait, you are one. carry on.

<snip>

PS Please do not bother to LECTURE or PONTIFICATE about <snip> (2) you need to stop using CAPS.  You guys with knee-jerk responses to CAPS need to grow up and learn that CAPS mean

42055[/snapback]

...And I think you'll find that most of us here are clued into that and will recognize that you have used caps in an appropriate manner. Thank you! :) <g>

Archived