Any guideline for URL shorteners?

jsobrier

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum.

I operate a URL shortener (http://safe.mn/). Like all such services, it is sometime used by spammers. So my ISP get reports about spam using safe.mn URLs in the content.

I take spam and malicious content very seriously. Here are all the steps we take to minimize it:

* if a domain is flagged by Spamhaus, it can NOT be shorten

* after a link is shorten, it is checked several times a day for spam, scam, adult content, malware, viruses, etc. We use multiple blacklists (Phishtank, Google Safe Browsing, Clean-MX, etc.), do content inspection, virus scanning, etc.

* if a link is found unsafe, the user is not redirected to the final destination. Instead, an interstitial page with a warning is shown. The user can decide to leave the page, or go to the final destination.

Most of the reports from SpamCop to our ISP is for short links taht are already blocked. For example, today's report was for http://safe.mn/2H8L (safe to follow). If you follow this link, you will get a warning instead of going to the adult site.

Are there any other guidelines for URL shorteners that I would need to follow. Is there a way to work with SpamCop to handle spam reports without the need to involve our ISP?

Regards

Julien

URL obfuscation is a whole nasty issue all by itself, whatever, however, and why it's done. In answer to your last, please see ISP Account or How can I get SpamCop reports about my network?

Thank you

It looks like report can be gather for a given mail server. The problem is that we do not send e-mails, so the spam does not come from our IPs. What I would need is to get reports form spam that contains safe.mn URLs, not that originate from safe.mn. This does not seem to be possible.

It looks like report can be gather for a given mail server. The problem is that we do not send e-mails, so the spam does not come from our IPs. What I would need is to get reports form spam that contains safe.mn URLs, not that originate from safe.mn. This does not seem to be possible.

OK, try SpamCop Report Types

and

ISP Abuse Report Center scrolling on down to the section Spamvertised Web-site Report

I offered the previous link as basic guidelines of getting your own Reports/information. The Contact Points for dealing with URLs/Domains are the same. In the old days, it didn't take much to get yourself added as an "interested third-party" but spammers took the joy out of that. With the right justification, the Deputies staff can still add you to that scenario, but also noting that a lot of Reporters don't jump on adding third-party targets due to this past abuse.

Yes, we're talking about reports on "spamvertized" sites, not spam senders and that is not SC's main concern. However SC is well aware of the problem, if you use the "Search for -->" facility at the top of forum pages you will get many references, including http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...amp;#entry76796. You might find it productive to contact Don on the address shown there to see what can be done. Another thread to look at is http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...d&pid=62996

Shortening services are just about essential these days and the internet community needs a choice of them (ironically because some of them are a little quick off the mark to bar shortening of useful sites because spammers - or spoilers - have complained about the destination).

Just noting that some (most?) folks following Farelf's excellent suggested links will find their settings changed. For those that don't like it or are confused .... to get back to the way things were, when looking at this "Topic view" see the "Options" box towards the top right. The dropdown menu will offer the Switch to Standard option to take one back to the 'default' view mode.

Hi, Julien!

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum.

...Yes, I would say it is! :) <g>
<snip>

I take spam and malicious content very seriously. Here are all the steps we take to minimize it:

<snip>

...These steps are probably far more than any other such services. A big thank you from those of us who are victims of spam! :D <big g>

Archived