No more reply-all?

rconner

Blog post seen on Yahoo from Christopher Null (whose name sounds like that of a 1980s punk singer) -- Nielsen (the TV ratings people) are trying to improve efficiency by turning off the "reply-all" feature of MS Look out! Outlook

Nielsen says this will save server space and time spent on behalf of users who have to waste up to three seconds deleting irrelevant messages. Of course, it will take significantly more time for senders to manually add recipients, or copy and paste them from a previous email, when messages do need to involve multiple people. I expect Nielsen employees should also probably expect to spend more time in physical meetings as they'll get less done electronically.
I can sympathize with them, we had an incident at work where somebody copied all 2,000+ people here, followed by a parade of other clowns who also "reply-all'd" to tell him to stop. It took a whole morning for ths storm to subside.

-- rick

I can sympathize with them, we had an incident at work where somebody copied all 2,000+ people here, followed by a parade of other clowns who also "reply-all'd" to tell him to stop. It took a whole morning for ths storm to subside.

Now that you bring it up .... On all the systems that pass through here, I remove that selection from the tool-bar, just one of those little 'extra' things that I do. The 'new' thought after reading your post is that I can't recall ever hearing anyone bitch about it not being available after their system was returned.

The only time I have had a not positive experience with the reply-all is when one of my sister-in-law's many correspondents does a reply-all to point out that she should have consulted snopes before forwarding a message and that was only because I didn't recognize the sender name. That's been my experience a lot of times when I get these messages from people I don't recognize - though sometimes it has been interesting - both from the discussion and the realization of who I am connected with by being on a mailing list.

But I can sure see how it might create havoc!

Miss Betsy

The worst might be if you were inadvertently reply-all'd on a mail in which someone was denouncing or belittling you. I once had a very, um, "sphinctral" boss in the early days of ccMail who used to ream out his subordinates (even very junior ones down the ladder) in reply-all mailings (no, I was never a target for that treatment).

-- rick

<snip>

we had an incident at work where somebody copied all 2,000+ people here, followed by a parade of other clowns who also "reply-all'd" to tell him to stop.

<snip>

...*snicker* Been there. I had a "Wazoo moment" when I asked the original offender (without cc-ing "all" :) <g>) to please consider targeting his reply in the future rather than being rude to everyone else. In reply, he accused me of being insulting. :) <g>

...For those who don't care what his excuse was, you may stop reading now. :) <g>

...His excuse was that he had no choice but to reply to all because (he claimed) he had tried in vain multiple times to get himself removed from the mailing list. I pointed out to him that all he had to do was double-click the distribution list name in the e-mail "To" list and it would tell him the name of the distribution list owner. :rolleyes: <roll eyes>

Archived