GMail bought down by phising scam

petzl

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/25/gmail_im_phish/

Some of these scams are well worded and convincing though

One got me when asked for mobile phone number Next thing is $10 a week charged to my Mobile

(I were told mo ifs or buts by a pop-up I had won a Laptop)

Another is a popup stating a Virus detected do you wish to remove it, This adds spyware/trojans to your computer (not got me but people I know have fallen for it

Just taking a bit of exception to the Title used here .... the pfishing flood actually became 'famous' a bit after the outage. No connection other than the timing.

The actual outage was caused by a small programming error, some new code that was try to help 'localize' traffic. Apparently, a European server wasn't quite happy with the code and the associated traffic, it fell down, which caused its traffic to move to the next 'closest' server, which then failed, and away it went .. server after server dying due to traffic overloads.

Just taking a bit of exception to the Title used here .... the pfishing flood actually became 'famous' a bit after the outage. No connection other than the timing.

The actual outage was caused by a small programming error, some new code that was try to help 'localize' traffic. Apparently, a European server wasn't quite happy with the code and the associated traffic, it fell down, which caused its traffic to move to the next 'closest' server, which then failed, and away it went .. server after server dying due to traffic overloads.

Whatever Google are physically hunting the low life down

Archived