Sudden false positives using Merak Mail Server

Trooper

I'm seeing more false positives today for some reason.

When I checked the below domains I couldn't find any reason why spamcop blocked them.

tempoholidays.com

So I thought I 'd send a test using another account I have which has never been listed

I got the below back. I couldn't not find any listing for any of the IP's related to the below.

Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details

The original message was received at Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:49:36 +1000 from mailproxy1.pacific.net.au [61.8.0.86]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <cathy.natoli[at]lazeawaytravel.com.au>

(reason: 501 5.7.1 <microthin[at]pacific.net.au>... Sender refused by the RBL bl.spamcop.net)

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to mail.lazeawaytravel.com.au.:

>>> MAIL From:<microthin[at]pacific.net.au> SIZE=11479

<<< 501 5.7.1 <microthin[at]pacific.net.au>... Sender refused by the RBL bl.spamcop.net

501 5.6.0 Data format error

Any thoughts?

Regards

Warren

Hi, Warren!

...It looks to me as if the ISP/E-mail provider that blocked your e-mail needs a lesson in providing helpful feedback when it refuses mail due to the blocklist. :) There is not enough information there, at least for me, to determine what IP address is blocked. IIUC, your mail went out through some unknown IP address which (according to the refusing provider -- lazeawaytravel? -- can we trust them to even be telling the truth that it found that [unspecified] IP address in SpamCop's blocklist?) has been reported to SpamCop as a spam source and/or as sending mail to spam traps.

...Sometimes other participants seem to have been able to do more with relatively little information, so maybe more help will be forthcoming here....

...Good luck!

When I checked the below domains I couldn't find any reason why spamcop blocked them.

tempoholidays.com

Not sure where you pulled that URL from, but no matter .. SpamCop has no BL for Domains ... the BL only lists IP addresses of e-mail sources.

mailproxy1.pacific.net.au [61.8.0.86]

You don't say, but I'm haviing to guess that this is "you" or your e-mail server?

Taking the "cathy" address as the apparent source of the e-mail (?)

203.110.138.177 is an mx ( 10 ) for lazeawaytravel.com.au

but ... 203.110.138.177 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

So you offer one IP that's not listed, I derived a possible IP that's also not listed, and as Steve T pointed out, the "error message" sucks, lacking the IP in question.

I think I'd like to see more of the header data of the e-mail in question to actually track where it came from, what IPs were involved.

Archived