Fake emails to kernel.org, lack of spf TXT record

kellogs

Dear all,

This is nearly my first post, so I would like to thank you all for collaboration.

I am the webmaster of two large sites and I try to report spam very quickly.

Yesterday and today I received fake emails from KERNEL.ORG mailing list.

The email was forged with addresses of our community members.

It seems that Spamcop is not taking into account these emails and not declaring them.

Maybe this because we are all GNU/Linux users? :P

So I wrote to abuse[at]kernel.org to ask them to add an SPF TXT entry in kernel.org.

I wonder if this could be a feature of Spamcop to send such requests.

Is there something special to do to stop spam from kernel.org?

Kind regards,

Jean-Michel

The email was forged with addresses of our community members.

It seems that Spamcop is not taking into account these emails and not declaring them.

Maybe this because we are all GNU/Linux users? :P

Hi Jean-Michel,

You will find it helpful to read through the FAQ and introductory material relating to the SC reporting abd blocklist.

Forged Email addresses are a common problem with spam but SC is not interested in the Email address (because it so easy to forge). The SC process reports the originating IP address. The fact that you are using Linux is not relevant.

Andrew

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by that.

Could you post or send me the "TRACKING URL" from the top of the SpamCop parse page when you try to report one of the spams?

If you want to email me your login username (email address) I will be happy to review your report history to try to find out what is going on. Send it to me at service[at]admin.spamcop.net

DO NOT POST YOUR USERNAME IN PUBLIC

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

Archived